The Olympics - Actually Pretty Great

Haha brilliant!

Now that it’s all wrapping up I have to say how much of a lifeline it has been for me. I’m not really a big sport fan, but the olympics is something that I can really get into. I love the new unity that most of the athletes are displaying, that for me is from our inspiring youth that have a very global outlook. I admire how gutsy the competitors are for putting themselves in such an extreme situation and the ultimate emotional gamble of competition in the games.
I have been emotional more than once, learned words like gamjong and omnium. I will miss it as my main source of stimulation in the lockdown. Bring on the winter olympics.

3 Likes

Knitting :thinking: hardly speed knitting?

1 Like

Fine words! Fully agree.

1 Like

Tom Daley and his needles.

2 Likes

a lot of these sports where wealth is a barrier to entry really annoy me. I’m sure these horse-riders are quite good but if half the country has never even rode one then how can you be sure these competitors really are the best?

4 Likes

3 Likes

That’s like something you would see here at the Travelers Olympics in Ratkeale Co. Limerick

1 Like

I just saw pictures of that.:rofl::rofl:. It works for him so why not…

Some of these sports will end up by the wayside I think…

1 Like

He likes to broadcast it bless him

1 Like

It’s interesting how they negotiate them in and out. eg Karate is out for 2024 while breakdancing (breaking) is in.

tenuous but
https://youtu.be/ZNuu49K7dLc

2 Likes

Modern Pentathlon apparently only used to be entered by actual cavalry officers. Not entirely sure what it’s doing there now.

1 Like

Was speaking to my friend who is Danish and their direct translation for the polevault is stick jump. Simple language is Danish. : )

2 Likes