The Health Kick (Inside)

Sounds amazing, massive kudos to her. We tend to rely on other people when in shit situations but it’s only yourself you can rely on really. If I told you the mess my life has become I am not sure you would believe me. I’m looking to go on some sort of meditation retreat when the time is right and I find the one for me. I’ve been reading lots about Buddhism of late, not for the religious aspect but taking the bits of it that help with living a more peaceful and rounded life. A Buddhist cleanse as such (but tweaked for Western living ha).

What’s the spray she is using?

2 Likes

I got really into Buddhism (well I got stuck at chapter 5) but I was going to the centre on Roman road. They often do retreats which always sounded really nice. I agree it’s got a calming vibe to it and funny enough dug out the book last night to get past chapter 5. I hope it all calms down for you @dreamdrums - sounds like you’re doing all the right things to uneducated me.

3 Likes

Thank you

I’ve got this little book simply called The Buddhist Cleanse which I have been doing (to an extent, yes I even avoid killing insects, I killed a fly by mistake recently and was gutted) which has been written by a monk who I discovered via YouTube. It’s an ace little YouTube account as in the beginning he was a therapist in LA who it was obvious was completely confused about what he wanted out of life and then one day announced he was off to be a monk in Thailand. The change in him is fascinating. I also use his videos to guide some of my meditations.

Edit - duuurrrrr would help if I posted the link. I like his manner, calms me lots :

https://youtube.com/channel/UC4s4I_0RxKMgp-HKRVagRnw

I’ve actually read chapter 6 too. It’s good though.

2 Likes

Read that one, will probably read it many times. Really good. Will post some of my recommendations as well. Lots of meditation ones.

From friends of mine whose life has taken a turn, the important thing is to do something about it, and it sounds like you’re doing just that, so good for you. Friends, exercise, decent eating & habits, meditation… it’s all part of the package. There’s a great book called ‘man’s search for meaning’ by Victor Frankl which I’d recommend. Basically if you don’t like what’s happening you only have two choices, change the situation or change how you think about it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I have pushed all of my friends and pretty much all of my family away. Reconnected with my brother though after he heard of my woes which has been amazing. He says I came along at the right time for him too.

1 Like

I’ve never been into a gym (not knocking it but just haven’t tried so don’t get it).
Running or swimming in nature, yoga etc means the whole world can be your gym, right?

(Edit just pulled a calf muscle, that’ll teach me for being such a pretentious twat)

1 Like

I’m just taking one day at a time, some can be an absolute nightmare but it is what it is.

3 Likes

When we went into lockdown classes went online, the last thing I wanted to do was spend any more of my day staring at a screen so I gave it up. My teacher has stayed online (works for her) so I haven’t gone back. I still breathe and stretch, it stays with you.
The other big difference is that I’m not commuting or doing a stressful job any more so I just don’t need it as much.
Some things are context-dependent I guess.

1 Like

Yes it is true r.e. yoga but finding the fact I am not thinking about anything for 3 hours whilst at the gym hugely beneficial and although I barely talk to anyone there some familiar faces can be comforting. I only go during quiet periods as wouldn’t be able to cope with it if manic.

That’s a shame and get you r.e. doing it online. Good that the breathing and stretching has stayed with you.

This is exactly how it was with one of my friends. We were just about still in touch, have reconnected and it’s been really valuable for both of us. I’ve learned how to be a better friend.

2 Likes

Love that

1 Like

It’s an expensive Zeolite detox spray. She got it from America after a good bit of research.

1 Like

We used to live down the road and go to meditation practice there and up the road to Yoga. Don’t do either now, really should get back into it me thinks.

1 Like

Samye Ling is a vibe!”- i’m quoting the Buddha here!

I’d also recommend this, it’s a treasure

1 Like

Really enjoyed this. Have read it twice in a space of a few months in fact

And thanks for the previous book recommendations. I have ordered both today. Anymore recommendations will be most welcome. I am doing little but read and play music now for entertainment. I haven’t watched any TV/films in many months. Apart from Modern Family which my daughter makes me watch with her ha.

5 Likes

Great title. Teddy Pendergrass was right all along.

6 Likes

Haha

It seems then Marvin Gaye had no idea with his ‘where are we going’