Teenage Children's Music Taste

Having a 16 year old daughter Im listening to her stuff in car & as we share Spotify I get suggested playlists for her
Very influenced by Tik Tok & until recently the typical Taylor & pop rap
This Silk sampling track is her current fave

Bizarrely her new playlist includes Candi Young Hearts / Charles & eddie Would I lie to you & Sade ( all heard on Tik Tok)

3 Likes

I always ask my kids to Turn down that Hip Hop, it never get oldā€¦

2 Likes

Mine is 14 and she has similarly eclectic tastes - a lot of it comes from music heard on tiktok, and currently sheā€™s into Bossa Nova! Tyler The Creator remains the favourite though.

2 Likes

My 16yr daughter is going to a festival here for one day with some friends and one parent :worried: I only new one or two acts playing just by name and when I asked her will she go to see bla bla she said No I donā€™t follow herā€¦ :ok_man:

1 Like

We have Tyler the creator at the moment, she was trying to get me to buy her the vinyl at the weekend as we saw it in a shop. Was happy to buy TV Girl as I think that may have some longevity, but not so sure about Tyler.

2 Likes

To be fair also really into Steve Lacey

She keeps saying I shouldnt buy records as we have Spotify & she could have money

Last 2x deliveries Ive managed to intercept postie & sneak mailer ib

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ve mentioned on here before, my 18 yo is a massive Aphex Twin fan, also Boards of Canada, Bonobo etc. Heā€™d much rather have a few albums on vinyl and listen to them relentlessly than do Spotify etc.
Makes no sense to me given his age and the technology available, but he is who he is.
Heā€™s going to Field Day on his own this Summer to take it all in.

5 Likes

& my 13yo has basically never been into music, until GTA opened the door to West Coast rap. He loves NWA, his favourite movie is Straight Outta Compton, now heā€™s into MF Doom.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great thing. How many albums that I have added to my Apple Music library do I really know and love? Most of them get 10 plays if they are lucky. Itā€™s the ones I owned as a teen or 20 something that I really fell in love with.

Play them, put them on tape to hammer in the car, read the lyrics and liner notes.

Iā€™m currently in the very slow process of trimming down the library in Apple Music, I donā€™t need them in the library to play them, so the library will just be for essentials.

4 Likes

tbf the GTA radio is pretty dope- didnā€™t tim sweeny and zak cowie have a hand in that?
more than a few times iā€™ve finally stumbled on an elusive boogie / old rap record only to find in the YT comments ā€œgta bought me hereā€ lol

2 Likes

I donā€™t have kids, but I was heavily influenced by my dadā€™s music when I was a teen. Mainly disco, soul and funk.

I often wonder what my kids might be into if they existed. So great to see some eclectic selections emerging in this thread.

Tyler got me into that Penny Goodwin ā€˜Hot Windā€™ track inspired by Manciniā€™s Lujon.

1 Like

Now heā€™s playing a lot of Fallout and so is into 50s music, early rock & roll, crooners & doo-wap. Not making this up. Whatever next?

1 Like

Current daughters fave - quite Todd Terry

Sheā€™s added Jumpin ( Rhythm Masters remix) after I played it to her

So I donā€™t have a kid, but I do have a little sister who turned 19 last month, thereā€™s a decent age gap between us.

Her tastes are virtually non-existent, I donā€™t mean that in a critical way either, I mean she doesnā€™t have many preferences or connections to music. Despite being (mostly) raised by the same people, she somehow has no connection to music the way I do (music was the only thing that mattered to me for the first 20 years of my cognizant life). We landed on complete opposite sides of that token.

That being said, what I know of her recreational listening is that she at least somewhat enjoys soundtracks, scores, Nirvana, and Lord Huron. Thatā€™s not me being vague either, Iā€™ve literally looked at her Spotify and thatā€™s all it is.

1 Like

Big moment tonight. 16yr old asks if I can show him how to mix with vinyl (as opposed to his Pioneer controller).

He says records are much more fun.

Currently getting to grips with Lew E/Touched and some Ludwig AF. Breakbeat action in effect.

Proud Dad!

8 Likes

I have a 14 yr old. Likes all sorts of stuff current pop etc and really likes Mm Food by MF DOOM she announced after school the other week.

Just need to remind her itā€™s ALL CAPS when you spell the manā€™s name.

2 Likes

16 year old daughter is very into Morales mix of Space Cowboy which one of my least fave of his but better than some of other stuff so I now get it on every taxi ride

Trying to get her into Dream Lover