Selling record collections

So I’m at a point in my life where i recognise my records have given me a lot of pleasure but it’s been years since I’ve played any. In reality they sit there gathering dust while i get my musical fix digitally. I’m fine with that but they take up a lot of room and I can feel the time is approaching to move them on.

So what’s the best way to do it ? Theres probably a couple of thousand and I can’t really be bothered to list them all on discogs. Are there shops or people that will come and review a collection and give a price for everything ?? I recognise that I won’t get such a good price if I go down that avenue but time is a factor and I’d rather go wholesale than piecemeal.

Anyone done anything similar or got any advice on best way to do it ??

You could try a dealer like Nick the Record at DJ Freindly or similar. He buys collections, recently bought Bill Brewster’s. Also Andy Mac at Brighton Vinyl Finds. I’m sure there are others but i mention these as they are personal freinds of long standing and are both absolute gents.:+1:
I can give you contact details for either of you’d like.

2 Likes

There’s also Andrew Nicholls at Palace Vinyl (s. london) and Antony Daly at 586 Records (newcastle)…

1 Like

Also Zaf and Jake at Love Vinyl

2 Likes

Thanks mate. That would be great . I’m north west england . Not sure if that makes a difference or not

Newcastle probably a bit easier for me than London.

1 Like

I bet Bill Brewsters collection came with a fairly hefty price tag !

1 Like

Nick’s site is here

https://www.djfriendly.co.uk/

Email is [email protected]

Andy Mac is here,

https://m.facebook.com/BrightonVinylFinds/

:+1:

1 Like

I considered the same and contacted Nick, he wanted me to drive them to Brighton for him to ‘have a look at’ but never replied about possible prices.

2 Likes

You can check him out here mate…

2 Likes

Tern is a top lad

2 Likes

Never met him but always a good lad over on the Faith forum…

2 Likes

If you are based in the NW then Vinyl Resting Place might be worth contacting, they’re based in Afflecks Palace in Manchester City Centre
The guy there is a real vinyl junkie & is always buying stuff, nice guy as well, no website but Facebook & Instagram profiles.

1 Like

Moving house with records is traumatic enough. A speculative drive by is a step too far.

2 Likes

My brother also buys collections and is a fine and honourable man (currently taking care of Mike Pickering’s) http://www.Japhy.co.Uk

3 Likes

Thanks. Given that’s less than an hour away might start there

That’s interesting… says on the website as well as offering cash if yr not in a rush they’ll sell them on your behalf… 50/50 on the money…hmmmmm

1 Like

Bought a few from Japhy over the years :+1:

2 Likes

Get a quote from my mate Aidy at www.vinylunderground.co.uk, he’s a good man to deal with. Having moved countries twice in the last three years I’ve thinned out the collection by half. Some of the more valuable records I gave to mates who were Discogs sellers and gave them a %, I also had a garage sale in Barcelona, word soon got round and in my last week I had quite a few heads popping round and having a dig. The rest went as job lots - defitely get a few quotes, they will undoubtedly vary quite dramatically!

4 Likes

Yup, 500m round trip and would have to hire a van, to be fair though I bet he gets loads of tyre kickers. But he is a mate of a mate so…

1 Like