Scotland - Places & Spaces

Alright. I’m planning a road trip via Glasgow to the islands on the west coast. Looking for any tips on amazing places to stay, restaurants, banging techno parties in the forest, kayleighs, pagan sites and more… thank you!

6 Likes

What’s your general route Paul? If you manage east north of Edinburgh then say hi. Otherwise there is loads of nice travelling to be had. More to follow…

Which islands are you going to?

Uig Sands Restaurant on Isle of Lewis is utterly brilliant.
We just had a week on the Outer Hebrides, its amazing. Will come back to this…

1 Like

If you make it to Lewis, go to the stones at Callanish

whilst you’re in the vicinity, reach for Harris and get some tweed, i reckon you could rock a deerstalker!

more to follow…

2 Likes

Three of my grandparent’s were from South Harris in the Outer Hebrides so I’m a bit biased when it comes to recommendations. It’s like nowhere else on the British Isles and has the best beaches in the UK; Luskentyre, Seilebost, Horgabost, Huisinis - all beautiful and completely undeveloped. Would highly recommend a visit. Uig Sands on neighbouring Lewis also recommended. Skye is great too but extremely busy. North West Sutherland and Wester Ross on mainland also has amazing scenery but again busy due to being on the North Coast 500 route. Accommodation is at a premium everywhere due to huge spike in popularity in recent years. Choice of eateries can also be challenging on islands and more remote areas on the mainland. If you have an idea of itinerary can give more suggestions. If you’re planning particular islands book ferries early as certain routes can be hugely over subscribed at this time of year.

It’s Ceilidh by the way :wink:

1 Like

Arran’s lovely, mind the tight roads though, our van came off into a ditch twice!

We explored the Kintyre peninsula too, again so remote and lovely but never made it as far down as Campelltown alas.

The Three Chimneys restaurant on Isle of Skye is banging. Skye is an amazing place overall…

Just a few that spring to mind from many trips, although most of our time is spent in the NE for family, might be a lack of parties in this list though :grinning::

Arran - there’s a great stone circle on the West side of the island I think, not too busy either.

Skye - Neist Point is worth the trek and the walk out to the lighthouse is stunning, blows the cobwebs out too. There was a trailer selling fresh as seafood in Dunvegan car park (Dunvegan prawn and mussel bar) but not sure it’s still a thing.

Ullapool - Seafood Shack. Highly recommended.

The road to Applecross - Bealach na Ba, stunning switchback pass with amazing views. North to South or South to North direction, with the latter you can steady your nerves at the Applecross Inn afterwards, nice food too, was when we went at least.

Achmelvich Beach - bit further North, gorgeous beach if the weather is kind!

If you make it over to the Moray Firth, Findhorn and Spey Bay are favourites of ours.

Have a great trip.

1 Like

Big fan of Arran. Was up there in April for my birthday. If you like your Whiskey can highly recommmed a tour of the Lagg Distillery.

Also get the boat across to Holy Isle for authentic 13th century Monk vibes.

Seals bask all along the west coast of Arran, you can get pretty up close to them its pretty amazing

if you’re anywhere near Fort William, driving up through Glencoe to get to Skye via the crossing at Mallaig , perhaps…?

Go here…Google Maps it’s a short detour but the rewards are worth it

panoramio-130788589

Lochleven Fisheries, they have a “cafe” next to their sheds where their daily catch is held in tanks…

3 Likes

Thanks all. You’re wonderful people. I’ll clarify where we are going and maybe ask for a few tips if anyone knows the areas.

Just trying to find an amazing island on the west coat at the minute with somewhere adorable to stay… if anyone has any recommends on that front would be great. Islands with incredible views or lovely places…

2 Likes

I highly recommend the island of Iona for a short stay. Some beautiful beaches, iconic old Abbey and some interesting characters live there. My dad once spent time with RD Laing and others there that involved lots of howling at the moon at the Machair.

Boat trips to Staffa are good value too. And some food from the Oban Seafood Hut on the way, is essential.

Only problem (that includes all the islands at this time of year) is getting accommodation.

Whisky Stephen at Futtle Organics in East Neuk is your man I reckon. :+1:

Langass Lodge on North Uist is dog friendly accommodation if you have a dog in the group, we struggled a bit with planning that in route wise that on the islands.

Ferries are a bit of a lottery too, definitely book in advance.

If you can get in this place has views for days, the restaurant I mentioned earlier in the thread is incredible too.

If you’re thinking Skye at all, Stein is an amazing spot we stayed in an air bnb in a lovely couple’s garden near the Stein Inn and Loch Bay restaurant both 10 walk. Skye doesn’t alway look like this but when it does there’s no where like it

4 Likes

it’s on the mainland west coast but Oban is beautiful. You can watch the dolphins swim around in the bay. You can get a ferry to the islands quite easily from there too.

If you’re stopping off in (Glas)Vegas, you could see if there’s a Wrong Party on.

In a turn up for the books we’re going to Falkirk for two days. Any tips?