Record weights- yes or no?

Record weights, opinions please, do you use them? Make any difference to sound quality?
Which ones do you use? Any decent cheap ones?

I was pretty skeptical about these for a while and thought they were just some added audiophile type flair. But I have a couple of records that I couldn’t mix because they were warped/damaged and the cheap amazon weight I got brought them back to life. I would reccomend.

4 Likes

Yeah if it’s sound improvement you want there are lots of other things to do first. I have a friend who used to run a hi-fi sound and tried all sorts of weights but in the end chose to play without any as he could never hear any improvements whatsoever. But like relaxedfit said they’re great for dished or warped records. I had two pairs but just kept one weight that i use on wobbly records.

2 Likes

Good for warped records sometimes, and for hiding labels. The rest to me is a bit like snake oil.

1 Like

These are decent and fairly cheap, useful for dish warps:

2 Likes

I like them and I can’t actually tell you why. Aesthetics?

1 Like

I bought a Mukatsuku one from Juno years ago for 15-20 quid. Doesn’t look like they sell the exact one now, but there’s a new model. As everyone said they definitely help with warped records, also found them really useful with certain 7’s that can be fiddly to queue up.

1 Like

I bought MasterSounds weights a few years ago. Initially was convinced the sound quality was improved by them but subsequently realised that was utter bs. Emperor’s New Clothes etc.
Agree with everyone that they are great for warped records, 7s etc and make the cueing feel consistent. And yes I do like how they look. My records aren’t obscure enough to need to hide labels though!

2 Likes

Sorry couldn’t resist…
:wink:

Yeah, i have 2 of these, the ones shaped like 45 centres. £30 quid the pair I seem to remember. As heavy as anything 3 or 4 times the cost and very useful if playing outside and it’s windy.

2 Likes

Ah ok, think i have the bigger ones. Mine cover most of a 12" label. Pointless really since i soak all the labels off (in a Kool Herc style) so no one knows what I’m playing :smile:

2 Likes

No, mine are that size, just the kind of 3 pronged shape of a plastic 45 middle

1 Like

I remember reading ages ago about someone calling them “knowledge protectors” :laughing:

3 Likes

Agree with everyone else. Nothing gained sound wise, useful for warped wax.

1 Like

Yes, all of the above. They look nice, but I work from home on the dining table near my records so they’re a handy paperweight. Thanks Mastersounds :laughing:

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought of the wind. I recall Michael Mayer having difficulty with wind and records on a boat party in Croatia. They tried to barricade the turntables with record sleeves, but it was a nightmare.

If anyone wants to offer me an outdoor gig, I would definitely get some weights…

1 Like

If there’s an issue with wind, then the needle will give you trouble too.

1 Like

been a while since i played in a place with un-isolated turntables. do they help prevent any low-rumble feedback on big systems?

1 Like

Very little.

1 Like

Perhaps someone here could ask how Norman Cook managed at Brighton beach for the big beat boutique CD? I don’t think it skipped for him, he must have used some massive extra heavy weights. Who here is Brighton based?