Record weights- yes or no?

I went to both and I remember the weather being perfect and still. Looks like they were well isolated 1210s from the video on Youtube, but no weights; don’t think anyone really used them back then.

1 Like

We tested record weights, sorbothane feet and the position of the turntables, in Five Miles when they were having issues with feedback. Position and feet made the biggest difference, but the weights made kick drums and basslines more defined; particularly noticeable on live bass.

If you’ve got a club with a proper system and room, or a decent HiFi at home, then the sound element comes into play. Rest of the time they’re just great for dealing with 7s, anything that’s slightly warped, and making people stare at the decks wondering what the fuck those big bits of metal are.

8 Likes

Well if you have an un-isolated turntable, that’s almost everyone at home, they can help with the needle picking up on all the vibrations. Sound wise in general, they will improve the playback quality of styrene’s dramatically by muting the resonant nature of the medium. but if you haven’t already spent some effort getting nice sound on your system, they will do bugger all with most vinyl.

I bought some of the Mukatsuku 45 adapters with the o-ring earlier this year. Ideal if you DJ with 45s. They’re not mega-heavy, just 110g, but the rubber ring just locks 45s in place perfectly. Highly recommended.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mukatsuku-stainless-steel-o-ring-precision-made/773741-01/

I bought a couple of weights a few a few years back, I’m not conviced they imporve the sound at all, but they have been usefull on a few of occasions.

1: As already mentioned wapred records, especialy really thin/flimsy ones, they really can make a difference.

2: I used to DJ in a boozer and the decks were set up in a homemade DJ booth that they made out of really light wood with the speakers right next to the booth, and there was nearly always a problem with the decks humming, Some rubber matting was really needed under the decks (or a concrete slab/breezr block but I dount the desk could hav held it) but the people who ran the joint were never going to sort that out. I did though find that my record weights pretty much eliminate the hum/buzz, they were proper useful in that one venue.

3: they are good if you want a bit of attention, playing at a boring gig, early doors? Piull out the record weights and someone will come up for a conversation about them, from aspiring DJs to hot birds they will all want to ask “what are those things”

Overall though I think my Record Weigh puchase was a waste on money and I might consider selling them one day.

4 Likes

Based on point number 3, I want a pair now.

I played in one boozer where the booth was constructed of light wood panels and located pretty much on the dance floor, on top of old floor boards. So every time anyone attempted to dance, the needle jumped. Had to have words with anyone who got too excited and just had to dance without moving feet, sort of like when you’re at a European festival and you’ve been going all day and all night and you’re quite monged and they’re playing minimal.

3 Likes