Random musical musings. add yours here

if i was a “big data” guy, i think i could prove that the psychedelic furs employed the word “stupid” in their lyrics at a disproportionately higher rate than any other band of it’s era.

after someone asked me today if i was going to the upcoming de la soul/nas/wu-tang clan show, i appeared uninterested. when asked, i determined:

“in the first 10 years of hip hop they couldn’t make a record that sounded as good as the party, and in the last 30 years of hip hop, they can’t make a party that sounds as good as the record”

3 Likes

if music is like flavors, then bjork is like horseradish. delicious at the right time, but i wouldn’t make a meal out of it. and i certainly can’t eat it every day.

4 Likes

you don’t really hear much scratching in new hip hop tracks. i’m ok with that.

feels like we overdosed on scratch culture in the 90s.

1 Like

one of the weirder experiences of being a long-term record collector is pulling out something you haven’t played in a really long time and finding a hair on it that’s so obviously darker than anything you can currently grow.

5 Likes

There should be a radio station just for dentists
(Yes I’ve just been to the dentist)

1 Like

my childhood dentist was super enthused when he found out i liked jazz, and excitedly recommended album after album from spyro gyra.

i think this tracks with your dentist radio programming suggestion.

1 Like

based on the pop music history of the last century or so, i really thought i would have run into a number of more dynamic-but-emotionally-challenged gals named “gloria”. turns out it’s more likely just a fun “name” to sing.

or, maybe - all gals named “gloria” are worth singing about, unlike others.

there’s surprisingly few songs about the popular girl’s names of my generation. i can’t name a single great pop song about “jennifer” or “kristen”.

2 Likes

Jennifer - Faust
Jennifer Juniper - Donovan
Jennifer Eccles - The Hollies
Jenny and the Ess Dog - Steve Malkmus
Jenifa Taught Me - De La Soul
Jennifer Ever - Smashing Pumpkins
Jenny (867-5309) - Tommy Tutone
Jennifer Smiles - Lynden David Hall

2 Likes

Song for whoever - beautiful south
Jenny was a freind of mine - Killers
Kristen - China Crisis

lloyd cole - jennifer she said

1 Like

Jenny from the block? :joy:

1 Like
4 Likes

Willie Nelson just turned 91 making him the oldest musician from the Western world still touring. A cursory online search revealed these are the 10 eldest survivors from the ‘old school’ (unless they missed anyone out?)

*I thought Yoko Ono might be at the top but excluded I guess for no longer touring

2 Likes

Why is Track 2 always the banger?

1 Like

Reminded me of the old groupies joke…
What’s the last thing you want to hear when you’re giving Willlie Nelson a blowjob?

“I’m not really Willie Nelson…”

3 Likes

A bit off it now but when I was trying to rebuild strength after long covid Id regularly have for BREAKFAST
1 x piece of toast, lots of horseradish & 2x tins of plain sardines

Trust me - great way to start the day

1 Like

Valli is still playing at 89!

Love this clip, 4 Seasons enjoying themsleves & Valli looks like he got to studio at 10am straight from a club & this is 49 y old so he was 40 then (?)

4 Likes

vince clarke, while supremely talented, has always looked like he’s trying to hide a golf ball in his mouth.