Night Fever: Designing Club Culture - V&A Dundee

Thought this forghcoming exhibition might be of interest to a few on here, particularly Scottish posters. Same exhibition that was on at the Vitra Design Museum in Basle a couple of years back which has since toured around Europe. Looks great and I’m really looking forward to checking this out in May.

V&A Dundee is a must visit for architecture heads and Dundee’s a better day out than you might imagine.

3 Likes

Excellent. I go up to Dundee a few times a year (not at the moment obviously) so will hopefully get to see this. Do you know how long it’s on for?

It looks like tickets available through to January 22.

1 Like

thanks for the heads up on this, looks excellent.

Dundee is really overlooked as a city I reckon. In the early 00s I had a few friends move there for work - they didn’t know each other but I introduced them so it would make my visits easier, and I would go for a full weekend every other month or so. There aren’t a lot of clubs but it’s a really comfortable place to go for a drink in. Lots of local DJs playing disco and TP-friendly house sounds til 1am. I’ve got really good memories of a Saturday spent in the V&A from 3pm til very late, drinking cocktails and hearing Salsoul disco mixed with deep house. This will be a good excuse to go visit again.

2 Likes

In case you missed it previously this exhibition kicks off on Saturday at the V&A in Dundee and runs through to January 2022. I’m going on Sunday and really looking forward to it.

1 Like

I live in Dundee and can say hand on heart our wee city has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years. We’re off to this exhibition next Saturday and then going for actual pub pints after, which will be just lovely

3 Likes

We’re coming down from Stonehaven and agree that Dundee has really upped its game in recent years, particularly compared to Aberdeen. We’re heading to DCA for food and drinks afterwards. Have been out in Dundee a fair bit but any local bar suggestions more than welcome.

1 Like

As we know its just outdoors only for drinks but a fair few have adapted. Dynamo on Union St for an amazing selection of beers, King of Islington directly opposite good for cocktails, and a new place right next door to DCA called Casa with a large outdoor area which will be handy for you. Hope this helps!

Nice little record shop just up from Dynamo too, handy :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers Chris. Much appreciated. Will try and squeeze in a wee pitstop at Thirteen. :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely, you’re welcome mate

For anyone who can’t get to Dundee, the book/catalogue is amazing (though doesn’t have the Scottish content which is exclusive to this staging of the exhibition).

2 Likes

Had a great afternoon at the V & A yesterday and would highly recommend this exhibition to anyone in Scotland or even those further afield. A club geek’s paradise in a very impressive building. Thanks again to Chris for the tips. Managed to pick up a few cheap records in Thirteen Records between the culture and beers. Despite its detractors I’ve never had a bad day out in Dundee (football excluded).

4 Likes

Really looking forward to seeing that. Looks great.

1 Like

Yeah, the company I work for donated a load of money to the V&A so we get free passes for whatever’s on there.

Definitely going to go up for this, looks ace.

Glad you had a great day out, looking forward to our trip on Saturday now!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy. Only minor grumble would be that the focus on Scottish clubs wasn’t quite as impressive as the rest of the show. Lots of great clubs not even mentioned and some very odd ones listed on the Scottish club map.

2 Likes

Managed to get up to Dundee on a Father Days jaunt, as @zerozeroseventy3 said - I too was disappointed with the Scottish turnout, since where it’s based, and too much on the German scene. Some of the early 70s Italian discothèque stuff was nuts and the diary timeline of a girl’s clubbing/party life from start to finish was pretty impressive.

Anyway, here’s some picture’s I took, for those who won’t get the opportunity. However, look away/go make yourself a cup of tea, if you’re planning to head up/down.

5 Likes

Got a family trip to Dundee in October, will definitely be checking this out. Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They could have had these for a starter :wink:

1 Like

You a Highlander? I’ve been to most of these nights.