Night Fever: Designing Club Culture - V&A Dundee

Aye, Inverness mun. Same year as your better half at Charleston funnily enough. Used to bump into you out and about back in the day. I think I was at pretty much every night apart from the Weatherall night at the Bishops. Great times and a shame it never got a mention at the V&A.

1 Like

That Rhumba cliquey flyer, I used to have a courier bag that Stine had made for me. The Rhumba at Roxannes in Perth then Fatties in Dundee and then pretty much every one at the Citrus in Edinburgh. They did a trip down to Love Ranch at Maximus one year in the early 90’s, about 40 of the regulars all went down. What a weekend that was… :crazy_face:

They buy in their exhibitions so they come ready made if you will, but I agree the Scottish room could have been better curated. That girl’s party wall was pretty impressive mind you.

Hoping to head up to Dundee soon to see this. Looks great from the photos.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Dundee and I’ve heard good things about how the city’s changed. Always loved an away day to Dens and Tannadice.

1 Like

As I recall the Rhumba do on that flier was up in Aviemore around winter 91/92. Always thought “as cliquey as the saloon’s floorboards” was a great strapline.

We fairly got around in those days; ropey “niteclubz” and hotel function rooms all over the Highlands, village halls in the wilderness, a cable car ride up Aonach Mor ski resort, boat cruises up Loch Ness and everywhere in between.

We had a similar marathon bus trip to London lined up which entailed us lot, bomba and either the rhumba or sub club all running buses. Fell through when the club in question folded. Probably for the best…would have been absolute carnage.

I remember the Aviemore trip, I didn’t make it up but loads from our lot went and it was as chaotic as I thought it would be. Wayne had booked it as a birthday function and the boy freaked when it kicked off :rofl:

1 Like

Our wee city has come on leaps and bounds mate. The V&A has really been a catalyst and there’s now a justifiable reason to visit in terms of nice bars, record shops, good coffee, good food etc. There’s now the Eden Project in the planning too, just off the city centre which will be an amazing feat.
As for Tannadice, I can’t wait to get back into the home end :wink:

1 Like

Had a good night out at Autodisco a good few years back. Really need to head up for a day out.

It’s great that both Dundee teams are back in the top flight. Long overdue

1 Like

Reading Rooms is no longer unfortunately, well technically it still is but it’s been refurbished into something different so nights like Autodisco and All Good are looking for alternative venues when things open up again

1 Like

Fingers crossed they get somewhere.

Finally managed to get up to Dundee for the first time since Hogmanay 2019/2020. Checked out the Night Fever exhibition today. Slightly smaller than I expected but well worth a visit. Really enjoyed it. Will need to escape family duties one day and check out the local record shops!

2 Likes

Finally got up to see the exhibition last week. Very, very good indeed. Shame Scotland is a little under represented and Ibiza is nowhere to be seen which seems a little odd but definitely worth a look before it’s run ends.

Quite impressed with Dundee too. Seems a nice little city there

3 Likes

Glad you liked it and had a nice time in Dundee!