Music You Love, But Your Other Half Can't Stand!

Just edit that excellent quote down to ‘My girlfriend has a dark past’ this is foreshadowing for when I can add my story into here…

Moving along to a related story of partners not being at one with the music…
This is set in my golden age of car boot sale digging, anything and everything did land in my hands on a weekly basis, just had to get there early (6am early) with a pocket of cash.

The morning was looking good as I’d just got a 50p copy of https://www.discogs.com/release/260700-De-Lite-Wild-Times and a free copy of Angel Eyes out of the bootsale skip from the previous weeks left overs.

Employing the long range treasure scanning eyes, I spotted some hi fi shaped boxes in the distance. As I got closer they revealed the magic words “Technics” and "SL-1210’ on the side, who keeps the boxes anyway.

I ask ‘are those just the boxes mate’,

No they are Technics 1210 mate?

‘How much?’

£60

“Each?”

No, the pair

Extract £60 out of pocket.

Their broken though, my girlfriend got really pissed off with me spending all my time mixing and ignoring her, so she broke off the tone arms

“Both arms, one would have sent the message, two is spiteful, so you have left her then?”

Said girlfriend is standing next to him with a less than cheerful face.

I make no more sounds and leave with the pair as quick as I can. You do have super strength from the adrenaline rush with these finds to make even the heaviest of Hi Fi, synth or guitar amp get in the car in double quick time.

Back then tone arms were £33 each direct from Technics, happy days, for me at least, both decks were sold and hand delivered to the new owners in London a decade or so later as I had settling down plans and didn’t need three pairs… (foreshadowing)

16 Likes

Opposite problem here. The lady I’m knocking about with plays me things like this… (check the synth half way through as he goes off).

5 Likes

Peabo Bryson is a beast. People who are not into classic steppers can’t be trusted under any circumstances.

1 Like