Music You Love, But Your Other Half Can't Stand!

Been single for 10 years. You’d never catch me in a relationship again. Sweet freedom.

5 Likes

‘What is this?’ and ‘Can we put something else on?’ are two frequent questions in our house.

4 Likes

That’s grounds.

1 Like

I don’t live with my gf, so it’s a case of my house, my rules, when it comes to music. My ex wife had pretty good taste tbh. We went out clubbing together and she liked most of the stuff I liked and played. The one constant disagreement was volume. I like it so I can physically feel it in my bones and was constantly berated to turn it down.

2 Likes

Reading this i consider myself lucky as this isn’t an issue around our flat. I need to listen to music at least 3-4 hours a day otherwise i feel like there is no point living. My wife doesn’t like everything i play but she knows that this is who i am and what i love so she never complains. Of course she can ask me to turn the volume down some times or just request something else she rather listen to. I don’t think i could live with any person, wife or not, that doesn’t like to listen to (good) music most of the time

2 Likes

All jazz

1 Like

“Can we have something less tinny”, regardless of what is playing.

Annoyingly she has perfect pitch and can sing or walk up to the kids’ piano and make out the notes to any tune. I’ve been playing for 30+ years and still have to Google the sheet music for everything.

Surprisingly my girlfriend does not mind most music that I listen to. The only type she does not like is noise music or heavy drone music. Other than that, she doesn’t mind techno, house, experimental, ambient, etc. Granted she does like when I play certain indie rock albums, so I try and listen to those when she is forced to listen to music, e.g. driving in the car.

it’s not so much genre as specific qualities in our house - anyone whose lyrics or singing style can be described as “earnest” is something I need to listen to on headphones in my own time. Anything that would be “bombastic” will also send him running into another room.

3 Likes

my wife and i generally agree on all things musical, except there are a few bands here and there she can’t stand. for whatever reason, she hates both cheap trick and squeeze (which i suppose i can see the crafty pop-rock similarities in).

we have a bit of the opposite problem which is that i’m pretty much constantly trying to listen to new stuff and she has five or six things that she’ll go back and listen to over and over again. kamasi washington, bebel gilberto, khruangbin, roy ayers, bjork, thundercat, little dragon. that’s pretty much it.

don’t get me wrong, i love all of that stuff, but if i was to go upstairs right now, there’s a 98% chance that she’s listening to one of those few artists. every once in a while, she’ll ask what i’m playing and be like “oh i like that, that’s good” - but she’ll never play it herself, she just goes back to her little list of regular stuff.

i listen to a lot of jazz and i can say with some confidence that i reaaaaallly don’t need to hear kamasi washington any time again soon.

3 Likes

Haha - been guilty of overplaying stuff - around ten years ago I was cooking and William Pitt came on and my wife was like “Really? “City Lights” again?” That record is banned from our household.

2 Likes

Wifey does not really like anything with a prominent 4/4 beat. However, dj bailey or Bryan G mixtapes, dmz sessions, or mr scruff mixes are ok? I have subjected her and child to many ambient/doom jazz/feild recordings x dub echo/ noise sludge musical “adventures” as I like to call them. The recent lol was trying to play entire bjork x Arca Lp which is a challenging listen. Now my running troll is whenever I play super freaky way out shit I just say it’s the new bjork…:wink:
*note- I don’t love all this weird stuff, I’m curious, and just think its healthy to explore different sonic scapes and compositions.
*edit- wife still gets down with homophobic 90s dancehall🙄 but claims she doesn’t understand patois so its ok

2 Likes

Most things alas. Records are my thing (I have a couple thousand in the living room), books are hers (she has a similar amount in various places around the house).
I was listening to something one evening when she asked “what the hell is this? It’s all thump, thump, thump and demented screaming!!”
It was Heaven 17-Penthouse And Pavement.

4 Likes

My girlfriend has a dark past in hard house and trance. Pretty much everything I play in the house is either boring, noodly or laughable to her. She doesn’t mind hearing me DJ though.

8 Likes

that’s some straight up musical cucking right there! i feel for you.

I just re read all the answers in this thread - it’s extremely entertaining.

1 Like

Great idea clearly, a lot of cathartic healing happening here

This. There’s a level of cringe that my wife gets from full-on soul/disco that she just can’t stand. Basically emotions.
On holiday years ago I had burned a CD that included Loleatta Holloway ‘we’re getting stronger (the longer we stay together’. She complained about it and I threw it out of the hire car window. Still gets mentioned to this day.

7 Likes

makes for an interesting wedding disco!

Tune though

1 Like

Tremendous description :laughing:

2 Likes