Music Production Tips/Tricks/Bits of Kit

For learning synthesis I can’t recommend the Behringer Model D enough. Classic subtractive analogue layout, sounds wonderful.

I spend all day on the computer in my day job, so I far prefer twiddling with hardware in my time off rather than using VSTs and plug ins. I agree, though, that there is a serious risk of overdoing it and ending up with loads of boxes that you don’t fully understand - you should try to learn what you have inside out before investing in anything new.

It can be hard to resist, however, when a screaming deal pops up…

3 Likes

Tons of great M4L plugins to explore too for the Ableton massive. I got a new 6 lfo one that’s ridiculous.

Yeah, for real. It’s a really exciting time for M4L right now bringing modular like functions to Live. Are you talking about the K-Devices Modulators 21? I picked that up on Black Friday too.

Also worth checking are…

I only have the standard version of Live, which doesn’t come with M4L. Will need to upgrade one day.

1 Like

I’s well worth it. Opens up a whole new world.

2 Likes

watching this space with interest as i’m starting to re-invest in getting the kit up and running again. i used to bang about in the pre-DAW era, mostly just goofy little things in the spirit of acid house. still have some great outboard stuff and i’m knocking the dust off and re-integrating it to see what’s what.

eventually i’ll focus on updating my DAW (i have an ancient version of cubase) but as for now, i’m getting my hardware samplers back up to speed and laughing at the sheer number of faulty cables i’ve kept around.

1 Like

My set up is sort of between a 90s techno studio with a desk, patch bay and live fx then also being able to work in the box etc.

I don’t know what the lfos one is called but I’ll look tomorrow. It accompanies a synth. It’s killer.

2 Likes

More M4L goodies.

3 Likes
1 Like

Looks interesting that.

I’m totally digging this at the moment. I don’t buy too many plugins, but this is great

That and their lo-fi plugin is on my list to check out. Use the Granualtor M4L device quite a bit and also the sample/granular engine in Pigments and Phase Plant.

What kind of sound are you feeding it?

1 Like
1 Like

TBH you can feed it anything at all. I’ve put a kick drum loop through it and five minutes later I’ve ended up with a self generating endless cavern of celestial shimmering reverby cosmic space gloop :rofl:

1 Like

Essential reading

:wink:

7 Likes

reminded me of this one :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Also, this

7 Likes

Great to see that again

‘Roland Rat D7’

1 Like

Never gets old

Instead, try out the Mackie 24-8, and just near the battery slot underneath there’s a noodle switch. Switch that on, and set the envelope to automatic loner mode for less friends. Works for me.

2 Likes

my first attempts at making my own stuff was on Music 2000 on the Playstation and I swear it’s the reason I’ve found Ableton to be quite intuitive to use

1 Like

Nice bit of free DAW software for MAC - has midi out which is what I’ve been needing:

1 Like