Music Production Tips/Tricks/Bits of Kit

General advice i would give is work on structure and try to finish each piece of music. Don’t do what I’ve been doing for the past 20 years, which is either start a new tune and abandon every week, or keep changing one tune for months.

3 Likes

Gerald is big on triggering sequences from drum machine.

4 Likes

You can program Ableton to do it.

1 Like

Think I have worked it out how to do it. Going to try when I finish work.

The track he knocked up in that vid is so good

2 Likes

Ahh, music production, just when I think i’m starting to get it sussed I realise i’m no where near. I’ve been tinkering for a few years now but was seriously held back by my ancient 2010 macbook with 4GB ram. Limitations are good but it was a little too limiting. Manaaged to buy a refurbed iMac just before christmas and how now finally got some of the grunt I wanted. I won a $200 Ableton voucher the week the iMac arrived and was able to upgrade to Live 11. Sorted. I’m also really into Reaktor and VCV. I’ve flirted with hardware and bought the TD-3 and a Microfreak but I rarely use them. I find a midi keyboard (NI A49) and soft synths enough.

I’m medically retired and have lot of time on my hands and learning prodution has been an absolute life saver for me. It’s kept me sane and there is always something new to learn. The problem I have at the moment is watching way too many youtube videos when I should be in the DAW experiementing.

4 Likes

I find it great to just potter away in the evening. Usually like you, watching too many YT videos.

2 Likes

The Arturia suite of products are really great. I use them with a Native Instruments Kontrol keyboard. The idea being that you have the feel of a hardware synth while having total control of the integrated soft synths. I occasionally find myself endless preset scrolling still, but not as much.

1 Like

Yeah for real. I’m not really worried about finishing or releasing stuff. It’s just a great hobby.

1 Like

I got Pigments in the Black Friday sale last year. So deep!

1 Like

Yeah I like them. Picked up the Space echo half price. Tried their Juno 6, but found the TAL one just as good for a fraction of the price. I use a pretty basic midi keyboard for playing/knob twiddling

1 Like

Sound good Live tutorials in amongst this lot. Also interesting videos on deconstructing some classic tracks (Can You Feel It?, French Kiss, etc) which is the best way, imo, to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/pointblank/videos

2 Likes

Ski is brilliant. That moment when he recreated the hook from French Kiss was so good.

1 Like

Underdog
This channel is also very bueno.

3 Likes

Yes, Oscar is great. I’d kinda like to do his course. Maybe, one day.

2 Likes

Little 10 minute video of Richard Fearless in his studio

4 Likes

Some nice gear in there

2 Likes

I totally identify with this…

2 Likes

And this!