Lo-fi Sci-Fi movies

Have we got a general movies thread?

Anyone else into exploiatation/grindhouse/bad old horrors/etc?

Yes. A thread for recommendations would be good. Especially with all the different platforms.

I really enjoyed It Follows when it came out. Might have to watch it again.

2 Likes

Here’s a few worth investigating:

3 Likes

Repo Man… what a film.

“The life of a repo man is always intense”
“I gotta get my car out of this bad area”
“There’s room to move as a fry cook”
“John Wayne was a fag”
“Not my face!”

I could go on

3 Likes

Don’t overthink it feller… no idea is a bad one… it’s only the Internet :kiss:

1 Like

Which inspired:

3 Likes

Moviedrome with Alex Cox on BBC2 got me on to so many weird and wonderful films, including that, obviously. He’s brilliant.

1 Like

4 Likes

Quatermass & The Pit

Altered States

High Life

Existenz

2 Likes

Also it’s a bit newer but Ex Machina was brilliant. Same director has a new one “Men” coming out shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bggUmgeMCdc

3 Likes

Running Man, with AAAAHNOLD, is pretty cool.

Verhoven’s stuff is obvious but great. Big budget, but lo fi. Robocop, Total Recall, even Starship Troopers.

3 Likes

w/ one of the better soundtracks by Tangerine Dream

1 Like

That might need a re-read of the brief feller :rofl:

The first film I saw as a kid that really goy me into film, for lot’s of reasons that I didn’t have the language to express back then. Also oddly enough, another film worth seeing in the original release, before Lucas did his CGI re-dressing release in the 90’s.

1 Like

Olly Reed & Geraldine Chaplain. !971 forgotten film that has a lot to offer

No Blade Of Grass- Classic British apocalyptic fare from '70

Creepy number starring Klaus Kinsky

Cronenberg bizniz

A style masterpiece and quite bonkers

same experience - in the late 70’s i saw maybe 30 minutes of THX-1138 in passing, it was one of those sunday afternoon mid-day KPTV movies, just filling time.

and spent a LONG time trying to explain what i saw to anyone who’d listen. a lot of adults probably had to listen to my 7-year-old fascinated ramblings of faceless robot police and bald people running in empty space. years later, i finally figured out what it was, rented it on VHS and watched it three times in a row. didn’t even know it was star-wars related at the time, i hadn’t gotten into “credits” yet.

I see AAAAHNOLD, I post AAAAHNOLD, them’s the rules

3 Likes