Lo-fi Sci-Fi movies

Any suggestions?

Gritty, dirty real world pschidt… small droids, hissing Co2, orange space suits, odd food, weird interfaces (but not exclusively)

Think along the lines of:

Silent Running
Moon
Alien
Prospect
Outland
Blade Runner (of course)

I could probably Google it, but where’s the fun in that?

Oh - big up Douglas Trumbull RIP

No idea is a bad idea… all thoughts welcome!

2 Likes

Have you seen the “Turkish Star Wars”?

It’s a right old trip.

2 Likes

i imagine everyone has, by now… but if you haven’t, watch THX-1138. it’s one of my all-time favorite films.

I have the fancy version DVD of it, and the actual student film is included and it’s awesome too.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, classic.

Perhaps it doesn’t quite fit the bill but we loved “It Follows” - kind of a spooky supernatural 80s retro vibe

Also from around the same time “Under the Skin” - great Mica Levi soundtrack too

5 Likes

Cheers team… keep ‘em coming

Saturn 3

Surprisingly enough the Loki TV show on Disney+

3 Likes

Also, a lot of John Carpenter’s 80’s stuff.

1 Like

Under the Skin is amazing

4 Likes

definitely fits odd food!

One of my favourite films, some of the acting is very bad but the atmosphere is so good

6 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I remember being quite freaked out by this one. Terrible acting and a ridiculous finale but strangely compelling

2 Likes

Another vote for Solaris, and his later film, Stalker

so you had this

and this
https://youtu.be/YYNOCBzN5B8

3 Likes

Roland “Independence Day” Emmerich’s LoFi beginnings.

“In a contemporary review, Variety referred to the film as “boring, uneventful” and “feeble sci-fi effort from West Germany”.” That is pretty on point.

Waaay better and a real mindfuck:

And of course Neill Blomkamp’s movies, with his first one being my favorite:

1 Like

Nice nice…

Just remembered a couple:

3 Likes

There have been rumours about a sequel to district 9 for years. Can’t wait for that!

3 Likes

Scanners was on my list originally then I took it off because it doesn’t have much of what the OP asked about (Co2 hissing, etc), but it’s a fantastic movie. Even with the weird acting.