Lisbon Recommendations – Tips & Places To Go

So Lisbon was great. What an amazing city: people, places, food, drink, general vibe. And so cheap compared to London. Definitely going back.

Highly recommend the hotel we stayed at: Le Consulat.

Well worth checking out if you’re going. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments (there are two) which was great for a family stay or two couples. Cocktail bar was also a winner. Take a USB if you fancy playing an impromptu set because they’ve got Pioneer XDJ decks set up in there and David the barman is a cool dude/music producer.

4 Likes

Brilliant, ta, was going Donostia, but Lisboa was second on list!

2 Likes

Evening all - if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations for relaxed bars etc that play a decent selection of tunes, varied genres I’d be grateful. There’s a few (19ish!) going over so could be an issue for some establishments. Much appreciated.

Going end of Feb, finally booked flights but looking for somewhere reasonable but interesting to stay hotel wise. Any tops tips?

This place rocks.

We stayed in a 2 room apartment. Killer cocktail bar on 1st floor. Lovely staff. Highly recommend.

1 Like

This was posted in the skate thread.
https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/665155261989882754?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=a9327ab8-ef3d-4183-965b-b902aef66324&source_impression_id=p3_1673909347_WhusitvQw2BTQp8t
Don’t think my insurance will cover it :grinning:

Good for kids? Taking my family over there in April.

Sadly booked up for our dates… :pensive:

Our kids are teenagers so it was perfect for them. They enjoyed hanging out in the bar! If you’ve got young kids there’s no crèche or swimming pool, it’s not that kind of place.

But in terms of staying in a city centre two bed apartment then yes that would work well as you’ve got a lounge space with TV, kitchen facilities, couch, dining table. Kids wouldn’t just be stuck in a typical hotel room. And you step outside and you’re right in Lisbon; the big hotels on way to airport feel miles out of town.

Staff are super friendly too. Nothing is too much trouble.

Yeah it gets booked up quick, it’s such a cool spot.

Oh and btw take a USB with you and they will probably let you get on the decks in the cocktail bar. There’s two Pioneers plus a mixer. When the regular dj isn’t there it’s just a playlist.

The cocktail bar also seems to be a hang out for locals so it gets lively in the evenings.

If your kids are very young, the cobbled streets can be hard work with a buggy. Especially uphill.

“What’s the plan this afternoon/evening?”
“Well honey, you and kids are going to find a nice comfy table in the corner, and I’m going to be DJing for 6 hours.”

Always goes down well that one…:wink:

7 Likes

:joy:
Happily I have no clue how to work a CDJ and just ordered some fungi to take so could have gotten really ‘interesting’.

4 Likes

Went to Vago last night, great little place, Condessa and Klipsch system sounded :yum:

3 Likes

Pastel’s are nuts, nothing like ones in UK not surprisingly, warm and crispy from the oven are ace. We continue…

4 Likes

Just back from Madeira. No music really but a lovely, friendly island and not as overrun as I feared. Top food tip: infinito wine bar in Funchal run by a very eccentric chap who seems to do everything. Great steak. The narrow airport runway i (later) informed my travelling companion is notorious as the scariest in Europe on a windy day. Nice place to take a loved one and just mooch about. A bit of poverty in the shadows too though. Maybe heroin? Managed a few hours in Lisbon beforehand and squeezed in a rtn to the Time Out market but wasn’t as impressed as last time. But will deffo be back

1 Like

I’m heading To Lisbon in June for a four days with my partner, so will be checking out this list. I’m looking for recommendations for another town to stay in for a few days, within an hour or so from Lisbon by train. Can either be town or large village . I am looking at Sintra or Cascais at the moment.

2 Likes

Sorry been meaning to give some feedback since we went after all the lovely recommendations. So here’s an updated top list from us.

Cervejaria Ramiro
So this seems to be on every programme/blog about Lisbon, we were hesitant thinking it was too touristy. We went twice it was so bloody great. Seafood is amazing. And have the Steak sandwich (Prego) for dessert, half the price of the one in Time Out market and twice as nice.
Website

Marisqueira Uma
They only do one dish, Seafood and Rice, but it’s bloody good. Cash only.
Website

Rua de prata 52
Quirky locals restaurant, gets very busy so need to book.

Casa Independente
Over the road from Ramiro, fun bar with multiple rooms. Met some lovely people in there.

Vago
Bit out of the way from where we were staying so only went once, Japanese style listening bar type place, great soundsystem. Nibbles too. Was pretty quiet when we went.

Went to loads of other places but they were the highlights, Time Out market was okay but super expensive compared to most of Lisbon and a bit soulless an busy.

8 Likes

Just finished 4 days in Lisbon. Went to most places in these tips lists. I must say a very civilised vibe going on in this city. I love how the locals just get a drink from the booze shops and just stand at a table outside or drink and walk.

We went to a couple of local neighbourhood restaurants with a great no frills buzz and good food. I think covid has pumped the prices up but I guess that’s the case everywhere.

Vago was maybe the most sophisticated(in a good way) bar I have ever been to, a nice surprise.

They seem to have a completely unique take on dj type music in this city and it’s quite refreshing.

7 Likes