Indie Dance - Off the Beaten Track

Dunno if it was just me, but I had (heck, still have) a soft spot for that whole Renegade Soundwave album. Really seemed like it sat well as a whole album, in terms of listening end to end.
Very much reminded me of the B.A.D. albums, if that makes sense…
(all of the above seemed to have been overlooked at the time, and perhaps even now don’t get the props they ought to… IMO, at least)

4 Likes

are you talking about the first or second album?

loved “soundclash”, still think it’s one of the best albums ever. “howyadoin’” was all over the map and sort of incoherent and felt like sort of a disappointment after a five year wait (which was an eternity when you’re young, but also considering how many musical advances had been made between 1990 and 2004). it sounds better to me now, in context - but at the time, i was sort of let down.

that said, both of the “in dub” versions were unassailable. i still listen to them all the time.

2 Likes

I was talking about Howyadoin :slight_smile:
…and can definitely recall similar reactions from others at the time. Completely take your point, though.

It’s a long way from The Phantom, which is still up there with LFO and Voodoo Ray (in terms of game-changing tracks that were distinctly English and, IMO, can still hold their own today).

But I stand by my previous post. It felt like a continuation of what B.A.D. (only the first incarnation counts! :wink: were trying to do, but a few years on, and I had a huge soft spot for it because of that.

2 Likes

Agreed. It really pricked my ears up on Bill Brewsters excellent Lisbon set. (as did the track before it @2:43 if you have an ID?)
Then it popped up on M.A.D. Insta feed so I copped one straight away

1 Like

Didn’t realise Bill had played it in Lisbon.

Here’s the set list:

Loved the first B.A.D album! Still play it occasionally.

s s s s SSS Sony!

1 Like

Awesome thanks🙏
A new one- ‘Hostages’ on here. Slightly wigged out bleepy deep house with a door bell chime. Kind of

2 Likes

I saw that Balearic Mike was re-upping some B.A.D. posts on FB the past couple of days.
You lurking on here, Amigo? :wink:

1 Like

where isn’t he lurking? :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Heard this recently and couldn’t remember where.
Tornado Wallace MFM mix (posted in the forum by @wearethemusicmakers).

5 Likes

Love that! Thanks. Immediate Bandcamp purchase.

You can hear where the a.s.o sound came from.

3 Likes