Idle Chatter

My mate was at a Q&A with Sasha Lord last night and said it was, surprisingly, an interesting couple of hours.

He confirmed that he knows Oasis are definitely reforming, what with Noel due to be rinsed by mrs noel on their pending divorce. Unlucky.

He also said that he obtained a quote to get calvin harris to do a 3 hr set and was quoted £1.2m (yep thats not a typo). Also looked into Daft Punk a while back and was quoted a cool £1m for a similar length set.

The worlds gone mad.

I also spoke to a girl friend of mine this morning who was out over Easter and she confirmed that Moon got thrown out of his easter sunday Aficionado for giving the manager some shit. The young kid had no idea who moon was and asked security to remove him :rofl:

He did get back in and was able to continue though :wink:

17 Likes

Amazing :joy:

2 Likes

Very much doubt Noel G is short of a bob or two, that said the Oasis reformation has long been a question of when, not if imho

1 Like

It’ll be a second, more costly, divorce for him and neither will have come cheap.

I never understood or liked oasis, but I’ll be buzzing for some of my friends to get to see them play when they do announce it.

Cantankerous but loveable :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Won’t be struggling to pay the gas bill will he.

1 Like

HATED them at the time, and even more so now. When i go to a gig I want to see passionate musicians blow my mind and take me elsewhere. I don’t want to be reminded of beery, luddite twats from the nineteen nineties.

12 Likes

You just can imagine the audience…

3 Likes

14 Likes

Exactly the same thought crossed my mind about the Squire/Gallagher combo.

1 Like

9 Likes

When the roses first reformed, I went into town on the first gig they did at heaton park, just for the lols.

Bucket hats, every shit pair of adidas you could ever imagine. Was like a bad impersonation of a Kevin & Perry sketch.

It was 1989 lads, things have moved on.

Each to their own I suppose.

3 Likes

Got to stick up for the Roses here I’m afraid. I went to that Heaton Park gig (sans bucket hat and Adidas) and it’s hard to put into words the emotions I experienced. I never got to see them live the first time around, so that gig for me was like being a 13 year old during that heady summer of 1990 again. Yes a few overweight fellas with daft haircuts bouncing around is a bit silly and easy to poke fun at, but the Stone Roses were our band. For a while they spoke for us and we loved them for it. The less said about Ian Brown’s COVID meltdowns and John Squire’s current collab with the younger Gallagher the better. But for a few hours in that park in July 2012 there was magic in the air

13 Likes

I saw them about 10 times from 88 to Spike Island, they were fantastic.

4 Likes

I’d never knock the roses, that period was magical they were the sound of that era and brilliant live.

And Mani is a good lad and great company when I bump into him now and again.

2 Likes

Was never massively ‘pro’ or ‘anti’ Stone Roses (loved Fool’s Gold but was never arsed about the rest). My issue was with the relentless hype machine that surrounded them through 89/90. Manchester felt like a very long way away to some kid from Hammersmith. Was probably my first exposure to the power of music media to shape a narrative and I guess a part of me resented being told what was cool when my world at the time didn’t extend far beyond Snap or FPI Project. Weirdly I started getting into Ian Brown’s stuff about monkeys and dolphins after all the fuss had subsided, but I guess that’s another thread haha

1 Like

The Roses were all about the time and the place for me. 1989 was a magical, magical time with the music and E.

They summed up that era perfectly and I’ll probably never ever get to have that feeling again.

But I don’t think it’s aged well and I can’t remember the last time I wanted to listen to anything by them. I’m more like to press skip if they come on randomly.

It’s a bit different with the Mondays though, I think their music has aged better.

3 Likes

The Stone Roses first album still sounds great to me, not aged a bit imo, instantly takes me back to being 14 and having a whole new universe opened up before me when I first heard it.
They really captured a feeling/vibe that was in Manchester around that time that I’ve never heard or felt since.
As for the hype around them it was relatively brief because they went into hibernation for various reasons and blew their chance of being one of the biggest bands in the world and then the real ad nauseam hyperbole came along with Nirvana/ Grunge and then Britpop which went on for years.

2 Likes

Second that @Joe too young for the first time round, from the moment the rain clouds parted and they came on to Stoned Love to wandering in the dark through Heaton Park when it was done it was pretty special - think we sung every word on every song.

1 Like

Agree with the first album instantly taking you back, I was 18 when it came out, so a little older, but can still remember cranking up “I Am The Resurrection” at the breakdown, before it launches into that amazing instrumental half, and my mum shouting “turn that bloody racket down” up the stairs.

1 Like