Home listening set up

Any hifi dealers near you ? If you happen to live in or near london i would recommend Audio Gold, they tend to stock a decent amount of vintage stuff and do have tube amps.
Worth looking at their website anyway to get an idea of stuff and prices.

1 Like

Some lovely bits on here. All for hire.

https://chvintageaudio.uk/pa-systems/

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, I don’t live in London but there’s a few good hifi dealers around Helsinki. An engineer-minded culture persists in Finland and there’s actually a very good market here for gear. Vintage gear and Italo disco in fact. Good stuff for getting over the long winter months.

Having said all this, I ended up buying a pair of Yamaha NS-144’s on German Ebay last night…

3 Likes

At the other end of the spectrum…

I’ve got an old Nad amp that I’ve had 30 years.

It’s crackling and buzzing like mad, but if you rummage around the leads at the back it’ll snap back into life for a while.

Sometimes pressing the mono button helps.

If you pick it up, it rattles!

Is it time to bin it, or is there anything I could try?

2 Likes

Sanity corner

22 Likes

Wow is that yours?? So nice, I prefer my Moët chilled tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah me too. Most of the booze in there is promo stuff from a friend that I keep in stalker close contact with…

2 Likes

Nice to see one of those mid-century cabinets being properly redeployed. Makes a change from IKEA.

3 Likes

I’ve a cabinet designed for CDs that I took shelf out of to accommodate a deck & vinyl
I disposed all vinyl apart from about 1/2m of sentimental years ago but got a new deck recently & back buying odd new bit ( rather than trashed 70s 12"s from charity shops)
Running out of space
Can anyone recomend a nice separate vinyl storage ( ideally with lid to fit with my wife’s aesthetics + a big bay window so heat) - Nothing too big, just something to sit on floor

1 Like

3 Likes

That is a bit scary. :wink:

1 Like

Latest development: in addition to the Yamaha NS-144’s I ended up with a pair of Marantz HD-445. These were not a good investment, although I did get them for cheap. The original woofers had been replaced with some quite ugly and not great sounding ones.

Anyway, moving onto carts. Anyone have experience of the Nagaoka mp-110? They should cater to both hifi and dj needs, which sounds too good to be true. I’m easily sold though, as is evident from the Marantz misstep.

I’ve not tried them myself but this is worth a read:

5 Likes

Yea Florian’s piece is what peaked my interest :slight_smile:
Think I’ll just give them a go…

3 Likes

Not mine, but just look at this thing of beauty!

8 Likes

Casual placement of Tom Sachs box, I like.

2 Likes

Lovely gear, shocking carpentry!

10 Likes

Haha, spoils the job completely. I don’t think I could live with that tbh. My eye would be drawn to it no matter what.

Is it not some sliding door action, to hide all the dust underneath😉

2 Likes

Staring at this currently. Yesterday I split the pre (Nad) and power (HK) sections of each amp, but to be honest I’m not sure it made things sound better. Might just switch back and use the Nad as integrated. Anyone with similar / “worth it” experiences with using a Nad as a pre amp?

1 Like