Home listening set up

This guy is the don- he bought up all the original technic parts from Panasonic when they stopped making them so can fit original parts if needed. He’s got loads of decent info on his site, basically explaining why all the mods are crap lol
His services are cheap and will put in new original leads etc as part of the service about £125 per deck
Probs the most qualified guy in the country

9 Likes

This ^

Just fit a genuine lead or get this guy to do a service if you are not confident to do so. There is only so much I can do to highlight the tests, upgrades and benchmarking I did on these turntables to try and help a poster to get the best fix to a problem.

I wasn’t impressed at all by these, it’s always an option for archiving I guess.

I also had noise and hum and would have investagated the issue at the time and found no fix.

1 Like

Funnily enough I’ve been having issues back cueing with my Ortofons and only yesterday did I work out that setting the anti-skate to 0 solves the problem perfectly. It’s been doing my head in for weeks, was such a relief!

1 Like

I’m mainly using them to record before selling…

Is that the correct method for back cueing? I’m sure the Ortofon instructions said you set the anti-skate to the same value as the weight?

Although that might explain why the OF’s feel terrible compared to my old Shure M4-77’s…

No you’re right, the instructions do say to set the anti-skate to the weight value, but I’ve been having issues backcueing with them on certain records (usually LPs and 7s) since I got them. Something to do with tighter grooves perhaps? Regardless, since setting the anti-skate to 0 the other day I genuinely haven’t had an issue since.

Similarly to yourself, my Ortofons replaced an old pair of Stanton 500s I had which I never had any issues with.

Having read this I’m now doubting the famous Deck Doctor who internalised my earth cable and fitted new RCAs! Mmmm. I guess I know where I’d send the decks in future then. Thanks for sharing this.

Why are the wheels helpful in that case?

So you can move it easily? Aha, not sure what other reason you’d need for that really

Easier to stabilise on an uneven floor as well. :+1:

1 Like

So, took me about 40 minutes to change the phono lead on one deck.
Only difficult bit was the soldering, was a little fiddly.
I’d get genuine leads as mentioned, ones I got were bulky and hard so made it a pig to get them into the cable clamp. But yeah doable with care.

2 Likes

Just replaced my 20 year old Eltax Liberty floorstanders with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230’s from Richer Sounds. The difference in sound is just stunning, and I have been busy rediscovering all my records again, especially those with prominent bass on them ( Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter by Joni Mitchell , Lorca by Tim Buckley and Ladies And Gentlemen by Spiritualised are three that have blown me away). The £299 spent on these may actually save me money in the long run as all I want to do at the moment is go back through what I already have.
For the record, my amp is a Yamaha AS501 and my turntable is my trusty SL1200 MK2 with an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge/stylus.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the effect a new bit of kit can have. Sometimes it’s just a cable :joy: but going digging in your own collection and hearing things anew is one of the great pleasures in life. :+1:

2 Likes

My mate sent me this

Apparently EMT950s are the bomb

Auction in the wilds of Lincolnshire, Ive never heard of it & Im from that wood of the necks

6 Likes

Full listing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11KTVOuznjj2vABEdWuUp2EVVNPrZt73C/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

So you actually bought Dave Brock’s JP-8, that is very cool indeed.

They’re so good but fucking expensive

Sold a pair of Genelec 8010s this week, just need a change and to be honest they were a bit ’too engineered’ for my liking. Now looking to put together an amp + preamp + vintage speakers set up, for both mixing and listening.

Anyone able to share some thoughts on tube preamps? One of reasons for getting rid of the Genelecs as said is their overly pristine sound. Lacks personality imo and I’m sure that’s great for production purposes but I want something with a warmer vibe. I guess low end frequencies will always be a gamble with vintage stuff and dependent on specific combinations on gear, but from what Ive understood and would still need some guidance on is whether a tube preamp could be a solution to that…

2 Likes

I had an icon audio tube pre amp for a bit. It was very very nice but my power amp is also tube and overall it sounded a bit too bright with my gold monitor tannoys, which don’t have much bottom anyway. In the end I got a solid state pre amp instead (mcintosh, cheapish second hand off eBay) and that sounds much better. I’d also recommend primaluna amps.

1 Like