Home listening set up

In purgatory small room which is crammed full of records, test gear, amps and event projection. It’s all a lash up at the moment. At least my records are catalogued now.

A long time ago I bought everything New York classic club, Richard Long etc etc. I stopped short of the very non portable Levan Horns and stacks due to space and not having a club to put them in.

Everything has been assessed and judged sound wise.

I have been consulting and selling some parts to a couple who do have all that cliche RLA stuff. It has the potential to be one of the best systems. (Another story and not my project)

I bought the big JBL when they were still serviceable with manufacturers support. Sunk about 1k into them and had to send the woofers to be regaussed and reconed to the USA as UK dealers will not play along.

Original book price on these early seventies speakers would get you a Jag (car) new.

I’ve been considering them as focal point to a cafe or pub listening session I could arrange. These monitors would be a staple of the Tokyo Jazz cafe type venue. Any takers?

They have loads of flavour.

Powered with big BGW 750 ideally until it went pop the other I have to fix that….I sold my Accuphase amp and pre amp which is a sad thing to do.

4 Likes

Very nice

Very nice indeed. Using the BGW in my home set up as well paired to jbl century L100’s.

Very nice also, I had several pairs of the L100 type JBL through my hands. They are all sold on now.

Is your a fan cooled BGW? I am I’m also looking at a Crown DC300 as it needs no fan.

The speakers sound very good, you can’t really judge these with streaming as they pick up all the artefacts in the compression. By the way they are rated for 60 watts!

I harvest collectible and good 12 inch records and can get hundreds a month. I do sell on also, but have pretty wide taste so a lot stays.

This is the ‘not disco’ room, it is mostly good house music with some sentimental value cheesier house. Also incorporated is synth pop 12’s, There is a section for hardcore house of Rhythm Section type era along with a few drum and bass.

The record cubes in white are 18mm birch ply, 13 plies no less. Joined with glue and biscuits. I won’t touch with MDF anymore due to the dust. This means they are bomb proof. I think I must have made 50 odd of the bloody things.

In the ‘disco room’ there is a Kallax unit with another row of ply boxes on top.

Just to edit, to the side, crammed in to this tiny box room is another related item, I picked up a triple deck floating console years ago. It was made by the Phazon team who did the sound for Twilo etc.
This particular one was from the ill fated ‘Home’ night club in London.
It uses rubber bands to float the decks and isolate from bass feedback. Also see GSA sound, The Paradise Garage and RLA as this design dates back to the disco era.

It had been hacked about when I got it but is now good restored to use, if I had the space.

9 Likes

I’d love to see some pics of the floating deck console if you were able. I made a prototype one for a single deck some years ago using birch ply and bungees. It was a bit cumbersome but it certainly worked. It was made to use in a pub I had a weekly gig in that had a very bouncy floor.

1 Like

Has anyone used maglev feet to isolate turntables? Looks like it would work in principle but haven’t heard if they actually work.

I don’t follow. I’m only aware of maglev trains…

I don’t discuss audio product on forums as I get shot down by makers of product. That looks pony and a technics is too heavy in one corner anyway.

Hell, I used to buy everything retail to test and then get hammered for an opinion.

It’s got to be pretty crazy bass heavy to feedback a stock Technics 1200mk2.
A wobbly floor is a different scenario, so several different potential problems.

I’m going to photo the console option, obviously a full on solution. It obviously works as a pair of 18’s or horn sub was common under these consoles.

Hi Lazy Simon (I may have seen lurking on other forums?)

This is NY dance club inner circle stuff. I had to buy a console to find out how it was done. The elastic bands are consumables and I’d change them very regularly. You need to add extra to balance out a Technics and obviously use a spirit level. Give them some time to settle. If the bands rot your deck will drop down into the hole! The stability is controlled by the lateral bands. I can’t give you the exact formula as this thing didn’t come with instructions.

There is plenty of float, I did witness Danny Howells (probably, or that family of DJ) mixing on this at the time. Sick club whilst it lasted, this was a potential Twilo or Sound Factory.

I have a friendship with somebody producing these nights and believe me, this was a world class club on the production side at least!

You need to be able to pitch in accurately and immediately, you really shouldn’t be a dragging or winding up the deck as it shows up an amateur pretty ruthlessly. A lot of guest DJ’s can’t handle them, even back in the vinyl era.

![B7FF17A8-DE4D-4267-9CE6-95742B04AF3C|666x500](upload://zAM cIfioQozckEobKl7gFKwqusZ.jpeg)
![510FC142-7C5B-4EF6-BBD0-6B1E551D3115|375x500](upload://9s27 plNmJCkysLrvomaJDLfWP1L.jpeg)
![15E744CF-9BDE-4D11-A7D9-FA7472928CEB|666x500](upload://2yF![F2173AC9-5E3E-4FC8-B1D4-AA806176ACDD|375x500](upload://u4U Sqk1uSMNbRiQRrKsHZNNKn0m.jpeg) CX71yd2ZmrGvwitHSmHwzS9C.jpeg)

1 Like

Thanks for this, much appreciated. I just dug out a clip of the one I made and it looks to be a similar kind of idea, with a floating base suspended on 4 bungees in a frame. The clip shows me swinging it about whilst playing and it doesn’t skip. I hear you about the need to cue accurately and quickly, too much back cueing or winding forward and the whole deck would start gyrating!:joy::+1:

Can’t seem to post the video from my phone on here. Anyone know how to go about that? cheers

I’ve posted it to instagram here…oh and if someone can ID the tune i’m playing i’d be grateful😂

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcLkDAGjoTE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Maglev feet are just that, feet that keep your turntable off the supporting urface by means of magnets repelling against each other to stop vibration feeding back through the tone arm etc.

Hover turntables.

1 Like

Saw this, might be good, ‘designed’ in collab with SHM :wink:

4 Likes

The extra height was needed. I feel a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I think they’ve made a good contribution there. There must be other pieces of IKEA furniture they could sort out.

2 Likes

Swedish House Mafia don’t even make their own music so I imagine they’ve outsourced the shelf design!

8 Likes

I’m actually going to get one, just hope it doesn’t have some kind of SHM branding on it :laughing:

2 Likes

Audio instructions over some epic drop tune…
You can do it you can do it now, hold this piece up this way… :notes::notes::notes::notes:

2 Likes

I’ll accompany on Allen key triangle, ‘plink plink plink tsk plink’

1 Like

Going in… wish me luck.

5 Likes