Goa / DJ Laurent Etc

Man I could do with being on a Goan beach right now.

2 Likes

It was quite common for South Africans to go to Israel after finishing their military service and then either go to the UK or India depending on their fancy in the 90’s. I’m sure a lot of you have grumbled that you can’t swing your arms without hitting one of us.

Some of those who were in India started their own parties called Vortex in the early 90’s and with an abundance of farms and beaches miles from anyone it was a fertile place for outdoor raving. They’d have chill out tents where the music was more akin to what Jolyon was mentioning and the main stage was pure psytrance which wasn’t my thing but throw in the acid, lovely people and the beautiful scenery and I was there. Ended up in a tree with the guy who ran the party once - don’t ask - and he told me all about Goa while we watched the spectacle unfold below. Sounded incredible.

They used to book everyone on the scene but one person truly stood out, and even the mention of his name and I’m back in a field tasting colours…Tsuyoshi Suzuki.

6 Likes

https://youtube.com/@GOATAPES

7 Likes

proto goa is fascinating for sure but I wish the proto-house post-disco sounds of chicago and nyc got more traction amongst the youth. I’m sure some journalist weirdo can not be so white for a second and list some of the best humphries/farley jackmaster funk mastermixes for one of them big publications.