Goa / DJ Laurent Etc

Pha Ngan? I have mates here who never left TH cos of the scene there, generally it’s absolutely awful now but there are still secret pockets, only the old heads know where

2 Likes

We went all over, Samuii, Phi Phi, Koh Phangan, Phuket, Gilli Islands, Krabi… was all mostly wooden huts, idyllic. Pretty much can’t go back for fear of ruining the memories… omelettes, pizzas were the best although you never quite knew how far you were going. Very few people went there at that time from UK, was very peaceful and chilled, full moon was something to look forward to but became mental very quickly once word was out, Dutch and Germans were way ahead of the curve with that whole travelling scene.

3 Likes

I first went to Goa in '90/91(can’t exactly remember). I was living in Sydney at the time and had a bunch of mates that used to do a triangle between Sydney, Goa and Thailand for parties. My mate (don’t want to say his name for reasons that will become apparent) was a DJ and was going to play in Goa. We spent weeks trying to figure out how to mix with pro walkmans.

Goa was still pretty nice back then and I had a pretty good time. I went to a few parties including one on a pirate boat.

I have to say the whole heavy drug thing took the shine off a bit for me(and i was a caner back then). I have never been around so many completely lost it people.

My mate unfortunately stayed for a month or so. He had indulged way too much and when he returned he was very ill mentally(took several months to stop tripping basically)

I’m happy to say that he did recover in the end, but it put a stop to his rave DJing.

Unfortunately a very dear friend and Goa regular passed away from an overdose in Goa a couple of years later.

As someone who has been involved in parties of all kinds for a long time, I found the Goa scene great for it’s DIY and inventive(back then) ethic, but I have to say, they weren’t the best parties that I have been to by a long stretch. All things have a negative side I suppose.

4 Likes

Outdoor club / bar where people would meet to find out where the bigger jungle / hilltop parties were going to be. At the heart of the party scene.

It’s still there I went there 3-4 years ago but the hoards have moved on…

2 Likes

I saw a fascinating doc about a heavily bearded 70-something ex Mossad guy. Israeli parents paid him to fetch their kids from Goa.
They go and lose it out there after national service.
He was actually really sweet as he cajoled these casualties onto the plane and back to their worried parents. If I find I will post.

2 Likes

This sounds superb.

I found it!

“Flipping out”

5 Likes

Oh wicked. Thanks very much. Really looking forward to watching. Current docu list is whirlybirds storyville, this and the Gabriel music doc. Forum providing.

Nice one. Will definitely watch this. The Israeli crew were always super hardcore. I can imagine a fair few going full on Colonel Kurtz and needing to be rescued.

1 Like

That doc’s definitely on the watchlist!

There was a huge possee of Israeli kids there in the 90’s. I did meet/chat with a small number of them, though they tended to stick to themselves in the main.

I always understood that bunking off to Goa was a way a lot of the kids dodged National Service as well as the ones who went there after…

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed that in India too. I also noticed how a lot of the Israeli people I met in my experience were quite rude, there was a number of occasions at spiritual locations where quietness was generally agreed and I would hear an Israeli person decked out in high end fashion shouting their mouth off with no understanding of etiquette or location. In retrospect it was quite funny.

I also walked past a couple who were on a motorbike and one of them asked me to stop looking at their motorbike, even though it had been parked in one of the most prominent places outside of the temple. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wow that is f’d up eh… conscript your kids, expose them to who knows what, they all get PTSD, give them a wad of cash to go off and wonder why they loose it completely, and then blame it on the drugs… jeez. That was hard to watch… what a crazy way to run a society.

Same thing was going on when i was backpacking around South America in 2012- The israeli guys getting super on it

Great story, however…I ain’t going to Goa :joy:

https://youtu.be/0hhzAgAzSr4

Dave Mothersole’s mix is one I have listened to since he did it. So many high point, when Humanoid Invasion come is, DAF into New Order etc. He did a really good job with and its great to listen to when walking.

2 Likes

Ive also gone back and listened to it many times since I first heard it via a post on DJH I think.

A call to arms, of sorts.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UxeQgWIY4

Nice skanking tempo if you master the art of dancing on the half beat, which for some inexplicable reason dance music people outside of rave scene find hard to comprehend. :rofl::joy::joy:

dance at 90 bpm, not 170, and let your brain absorb the alien chatter at 170 (and beyond…)

1 Like

I had quite a lot of mid to late 80s Goa DJ tapes that I downloaded from soulseek 20 years ago. DJs like Goa Gil. Maybe 20 or so mixes. They were a great melting pot of alternative dance and electronic and synth pop and tempo wise generally much slower than the banging ones I have heard from the early 90s. I would compare them with some of the mid 80s Ibiza tapes I’ve heard or pre New Beat era Belgium. A lot of Yello, Eurythmics, Blancmange, Depeche Mode, EBM, Koto etc etc.

Sadly I lost them all when my old hard drive literally melted a few years back but I’m sure they’re still out there on YouTube or torrent sites.

1 Like

I’m in.,