Favourite ambient stuff?

Really into this area of music, anyone else ?

My favourite type of music, and what I enjoy collecting most. I choose to study in Birmingham in the mid 90s mainly so I could go to Oscillate which was run by the guys from the Higher Intelligence Agency.

I’ll start with some more obvious classics that haven’t been mentioned yet;

Aphew Twin SAW I & II
Global Communication - 76:14
Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
Biosphere - Substrata
Brian Eno - Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks
Susumu Yokota - Sakura

Light in the Attic have done some great compilations, I particularly like ‘I Am The Center (Private Issue New Age Music In America, 1950-1990)’ and ’ Kankyō Ongaku (Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980 - 1990)’

This is some stuff I’ve recently acquired:
Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
Pauline Anna Strom - Trans Millenia Music
Wanderwelle - A State of Decreptitude
Merrin Karras - Northwest Passage
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Harold Budd - The Plateau of Mirror
Giles Reeves - Wunjo

I’ve also just bought a large collection of late 70-80s Berlin school type stuff including a load on Klaus Schulze’s Innovative Communication label, I’m listening to some Software as I’m typing. This was also in there which I’d never come across before and is thoroughly fantastic.

Just the tip of the (chilled) iceberg!

16 Likes

Recently the Ana Roxanne album really impressed me Because of a Flower - Album by Ana Roxanne | Spotify

4 Likes
7 Likes

Recently picked up Neil Tolliday’s (Nail) Music For Deathbeds album…eerie, spooky ambience, highly recommended

Gigi Masin, just all of it.

14 Likes

Ulla - Tumbling towards a wall (West Mineral Ltd)

JAB - Erg Herbe (Shelter Press)

1 Like

Recent pick up Attilio Casati - Etherea - YouTube

1 Like
2 Likes

Mix Master Morris “Sky High”

https://youtu.be/HTKr7Y8aoyg

4 Likes

This one too:

4 Likes

Seahawks ‘eyes of the moon’.
Global communication album

Khotin ‘water soaked in forever’ is really nice too.
Wilson Tanner ‘sun room’.

5 Likes

yoshimura - green is wonderful as is the ongaku compilation!

6 Likes

Terre Thaemlitz
Winds Of Space
Aka / Darbari / Java - Magic Realism

1 Like

Any thing ambient on rising high was great, astral industries doing a great job of carrying the sound on .
I’ve done a few lately - lockdown mixes to give you some headspace, here’s a link to one Mixcloud

1 Like

If you like chi factory and laraaji you might like a triple album I put out by laraaji and log(m)… I don’t often blow my own trumpet by this one is bliss as well as timeless…

There’s a new comp of Japanese ambient & new age that’s pretty great. I forget the name. Between Worlds or something but much longer.

The new Tunes of Negation LP or Tarotplane - Horizontology also good.

3 Likes

super good all the recent stuff he has put out

1 Like

ditto - this is great

Really into ambient jazz right now. The more experimental side of 70s spiritual jazz is up there with the best ambient music.

https://youtu.be/RgwLP5jcjjs

5 Likes