Fact For The Day

The nearest possible Earth-like planet is far away. Very far. On current technology, it would take somewhere between 15,000 - 20,000 years (at best) to get there. Even adding in technological advance, that’s unlikely to change in any significant way.

Mars will never be a home for humans, not even Elon’s progeny

4 Likes

Saudi transfers $80bn of its wealth into a fund - still only 4% of its assets

2 Likes

If you search for ‘askew’ in Google, the whole screen tilts slightly to the right :laughing:

15 Likes

That’s brilliant! Tried it on the Mrs; ‘Is that another thing from your bloody forum’

13 Likes

Also try: do a barrel roll

7 Likes

Hack of the day

This may be old news to some, but I just found out about it today.

If you have a Gmail account, say, [email protected], you can add a + and a number before the @: [email protected]

You now have a brand new email address that you can use for getting free trials etc. but with all mail still sent to the original one. And you can keep doing it by changing the number.

17 Likes

You can also put dots in between characters in your Gmail address: i.e. [email protected] or joe.bloggs or j.o.e.b.l.o.g.g.s will all work.

2 Likes

The same scream has been used in loads of iconic movies

7 Likes

Star Wars used it a lot and then apparently replaced my with a George Lucas scream. A new modified version is in the Mandalorian.

1 Like

not having access to this place because of expired security certificates has made me aware of how much i like it here :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Ditto, I can’t access using chrome. I’ve had to go safari on my mobile

3 Likes

If you look up the word ‘smug’ in the dictionary you’ll find a picture of Jo Whiley backstage at Glastonbury

5 Likes

I thought it was just me. I’ve switched from Safari to Chrome on my phone and it works again.

3 Likes

Still not working on chrome for me

The site’s web certificate expired around midnight on 20th June, so people will have issues connecting until that’s updated. Chrome is particularly strict about things like that, Safari at least lets you accept the risk.

1 Like

Ah so it ain’t just me then! 100% been trying to get on since the middle of the week. Had to consult my IT adviser (13yo son).

5 Likes
  1. *“Mountains grow at about the same speed as your fingernails.”
    apparently

8 Likes

From Saturday’s paper;

The little girl in the famous photograph running away from a napalm strike during the Vietnam war has just had her final skin treatment in Miami 50 years later!

5 Likes

Perhaps this isn’t news to some people but I had no idea Vangelis (RIP) had composed these soundtracks for neurosurgery training videos:

“Vangelis composed music to accompany video tapes included in the medical book “Microsurgery With Video Tapes”, published in 1998. This tape is for patient, Ch.D., a 43 years old man. The video tapes capture 35 microneurosurgical cases. I have all of the tapes for all surgical operation cases”

(Content warning - graphic surgery video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNyp-BtQ4HQ

5 Likes

5 Likes