Fact For The Day

Dogs rolling around in dirt/shit/piss is an evolutionary throwback to hide their scent from predators on the hunt.

8 Likes

Also to really annoy their owners

2 Likes

… that film was made by Ray and Charles Eames darlings of mid-century design. (One of their chairs with ‘TP’ design from JMB) full circle in a way as this lovely place named after that painting.

4 Likes

It’s a classic and so visionary considering the technology available. Didn’t they make it as a commission for Ford or IBM or something?

1 Like

The film was funded by IBM and as Gavin said was directed by Ray and Charles Eames. I work for IBM and remember watching this one lunch time many years ago in one of the conference rooms at work - fascinating stuff!

2 Likes

I used to work at South Bank in the 90s, heady days, great canteen

3 Likes

If the history of the Earth was represented as a year then humans would diverge from apes with 14.5 hours left.

7 Likes

Small world hey Reuben. It was actually in the South Bank office I watched the Powers of Ten in.

The canteens still good as well mate :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I find this pretty amazing, even though it feels pretty intuitively ‘right’ - that the human brain only remembers any event/moment once. Every time you remember that moment again, you’re remembering the the ‘copy’, and on and on.

Also, the intoxicated brain increasingly is unable to create memories. There is no forgetting as there’s probably nothing to forget.

4 Likes

the magnitude of difference between a million and a billion explained in time

a million seconds is 12 days
a billion seconds is 31 years

:exploding_head:

17 Likes

The human brain is not wired for large numbers. An extra zero seems like nothing (:expressionless:)

2 Likes

Let’s get back on track, the oldest of the Golden Girls was actually the youngest…

4 Likes

Nerve agents such as Novichok inhibit the production of cholinesterase, the enzyme that wipes the last message from the synapses and prepares them for the next message., all the messages get stuck and log jam the brain. Insecticides including fly spray do exactly the same thing to insects, and that is what kills them.

3 Likes

The steam engine was invented by the Ancient Greeks before Jesus of Nazareth was cutting about preaching. The reason we didn’t see an industrial revolution?
Slavery. There’s no incentive to revolutionise machines to do the work when you have an economy based on slavery.

5 Likes

Male llamas bite off other male llamas’ testicles to get rid of competitors during the mating season.

:anguished:

8 Likes

That explains why they’re always spitting!

6 Likes

And chewing :coconut:

3 Likes

This seems like a massive reason behind why we make stupid decisions, believe in conspiracies, write meaningless statements on buses etc
Basically ‘big numbers are big’ is a really easy headline if you want to shitpost about immigration, the national debt, welfare spending etc

1 Like

Yep. It’s hard to really imagine the difference, say, that an extra zero at the end of a number makes.

Croque monsieur means Mr Crunches.

8 Likes