DJ History is coming back!

14 Likes

Welcome back - good to hear :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did it not die a natural death? I.e people stopped posting on it.

It did seem very cock heavy and as I think Greg Wilson said it kind of went up its own arse.

2 Likes

Cool, then don’t join.

2 Likes

Most if not all dance music forums died. Everyone thought social media was better. It wasn’t

5 Likes

Used to be on DJ History, Whistlebump, Faith, Deep House Page and a few more. Test Pressing has been the best of the lot, mainly due to the lovely folk, great knowledge and info and total lack of toxicity. How Forums should be, good job everyone.

27 Likes

100% :fist:

I think his post on it said it started off well and inclusive and then became very cliquey, one Nottingham dj who joined simply put up a couple of his own mixes was dismissed as bring too mainstream. Bear in mind he was someone who made a large part of his living DJing whereas the other guy did not.

Everything has a lifespan, forums , relationships etc. I don’t know the real reason it is starting up again, maybe boredom or they think they can make some cash from it - though I think they said they lost a lot last.

I’m sure those who join will enjoy it.

3 Likes

I always liked DJH, like here, so much knowledge and the people were very nice I don’t remember any dickheads. Faith, on the other hand. I’m sure it was enjoyable if you’re into that kind of thing. It seemed to me you’d be attacked for typing Hello for the sake of being attacked. I remember thinking i’ll give the club nights a miss based on the forum.

Agree with Gavin. TP is boss. I’m hoping Bill et al are going to publish some cool articles and writing on DJH. There’s always room for quality.

4 Likes

No interest in posting on another forum but always up for this. More weird things that I never thought I’d type but I feel the void left by Red Bull ending their music stuff. They published some incredible stuff that just wouldn’t have found a home elsewhere.

2 Likes

I felt that void too. Amazing content.

1 Like

Bill and Frank are such great and such knowledgable people so I think it’ll be good and matey that they are doing the new DJH with seems like a good guy too. Much room for everyone really as I think we all realised we can talk and share on here in a conversational way that is missing in social / insta land. Bill and Frank are also working on an expanded version of the bible aka Last Night A DJ. That’ll be ace.

And yes I agree that we’ve managed to create a really accepting community of knowledgable music people here that like a bit of everything - old and new. Even if it grinds to a halt and DJH takes up the baton it’s been fun. I’ve found loads of good music via you lot and for that I’m very grateful : )

22 Likes

P.S I sort of always dreamed of having the TP forum behind a secret little button that just quietly existed in its own dimension. Maybe that’s what we have : )

5 Likes

TP is definitely a pleasant and tranquil forum, super friendly and a treasure trove of knowledge. That’s maybe it’s niche, so long may it continue

4 Likes

i was on DJH quite a bit and i generally found it to be pretty inclusive. i think the real issue was when the actual forum format changed - from what i could tell there were tech/data retention issues and in the act of upgrading, they lost a ton of historical threads and search functionality. it’d go down for a few days, and in doing so - it just lost eyeballs.

that the migration coincided with the addition of a merch marketplace probably made the whole thing feel like a bit of an attempt to cash in rather than a necessary move just to keep it up and running.

still got a DJH t-shirt around here somewhere! thanks bill!

2 Likes

I’ve given the guys the name of this forum software so it’ll probably be quite similar to this.

2 Likes

Sleeping with the enemy

4 Likes

Hehehe. Nah. They’re both friends. Its the people that make the space. As with any club…

5 Likes

Never been on any other dance music forum so have no experience of DJH, this forum coincided with me getting back into House & other dance music & getting decks, buying vinyl & making mixes again so it was perfect timing for me, it’s really helped grow my knowledge, record collection & personal taste.
It’s free of Dickheads as well which is a big plus of course.

4 Likes

Yep. Being on this forum was the catalyst for me to sort my dj set up again after nearly a decade of lethargic procrastination on that front.

5 Likes