DJ effects - what can you recommend?

Since I swapped over from a Numark mixer which had a number quality different effects built into it & upgraded to a Allen Heath XONE23 mixer im stuck for getting a decent effects unit without breaking the bank.
I’m after something simple that can create a some tape dub echo mainly.

What do you use if any effects?
BTW I mainly use just x2 SL1210’s vinyl turntables so any pc software is useless on me!
I’ve bought & sold an old version of the pioneer bit of kit you see below, & currently have the Korg monotron which I’m going sell on as it’s not doing it for me.

(upload://drpdRzkEg2aNNZXFwRumuqoQPDC.jpeg)

I used to have a Boss SE-70 in the olden days, pretty much decided I was over using and sold it, all my mixes began to sound the same with overly long tape-delay segues :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sounds spot on for me…I have a send & return on the mixer so should work with it ok.
I’ll see if any going on eBay…thx

1 Like

I had a look before I posted, seem to be very expensive for quite an old bit of kit. Sure there must be some better ‘modern’ options, anyone?

1 Like

Yep, all listings in overseas…mainly Japan, so that’s a no, no atm

Would the Boss SE-50 do the same ?

1 Like

Not sure… what kind of effects are you after? Sure any rack mounted effects unit would do if your after reverbs and echos etc. Maybe get a pedal too so you can trigger from there. Won’t be any beat syncing though. The Pioneer RMX1000 seems to be the only serious contender but pricey at £600 or so.

1 Like

I used to have an SE50 too which i used for guitar and keyboard effects. I think the reason they go for high prices is due to the vocoder effect it has.

1 Like

The one that young Marco uses for djing that I’ve also got in the studio is the re20 space echo guitar pedal (sort of ported digital version of the space echo). It’s pretty cheap (ish) and has different effects on it from simple to messed up delays to just reverb and then you can snap (if you want) the delay in to time alongside the record playing. It’s good fun.

4 Likes

Bradley Zero used to use a Memory Man pedal at Canavans. worked pretty nicely with an E&S. tapping to get the timing is okay with me - too rigid is boring af. I’ve got zero interest in sounding like the Pioneer fx

2 Likes

Can’t you take them out of sync? I can’t remember.

yeah you can just use the tap if you want, true enough

How do you find this for studio use? Been playing around with a few Roland Space echo vst emulations, but quite fancy the more hands on approach.

Yeah it’s fun. I mean it’s obviously not got the tape a space echo has but I really like it. It’s quick to get some fun out of and really hands on.

1 Like

Have an re-20 to sell. i didn’t really get on with it and have taken the plunge on a Zen Delay which i’ve yet to plug in so, can’t confirm.

Do you require a send/return on your mixer to record with effects then?

Got my Omnitronic TR202 with none of the above so think I’m stuck with no effects.

Any time I’ve spoken to shops etc re effects units etc you need a send & return on your mixer.

1 Like

I just had the signal going through the pedal then dialled down the wet delay so it wasn’t too much and it went over the sound ok. If that makes sense. :smiley:

isn’t there a way of doing it by splitting the headphone output? Francois K explained it on the wave forum in days of yore

1 Like

Yeah that would work. If you can get a jack to two jack splitter then you just need a lead. Job job. Then go from that into effects then take wet effect back to mixer. Though then you’d need more that two channels on your mixer but I guess most have that. (Excuse the Amazon screen grab).

2 Likes

what about this, break a bit the bank but is good quality and has everything you need: MasterSounds Premium Boutique FX Unit Black

1 Like