Daft Punk Splits!

I remember seeing Around The Worls video at my nan’s house, it blew my 12 year old mind. Big tune too, that first kick comes in so well.

1 Like

I do wonder why they split.

I was at that gig they at The End, DJ set in the back room at a Soma party? Was a great night as far as I can remember…

Sorry to see them hang up their boots, they always did it with class

1 Like

If I were to bet, I think it’s amicable, but they probably don’t want the “pressure” of being Daft Punk anymore. At this point if I were either one and wanted to do my own thing, I wouldn’t want people constantly asking me about DP, and when the next album would be out etc etc. This way they leave it clear that it’s over.

2 Likes

I think a split is probably a good idea right now. I caught them live in 07 and they were incredible. As good as any electronic live show i’ve ever seen (Underworld are the only other group that may be better live than in the studio, but Gus Gus in 98 or 99 was pretty epic as well). Imagine having to always wear the helmets or try to top what you’ve already done. It’s a shame they didn’t have their ‘Unmasked’ tour / LP, but c’est la vie.

2 Likes

Pure energy.

Which MAW one is that?

That was some night. Their recreations of French Kiss and U Can’t Hide From Your Bud were mindblowing.

Don’t suppose you have the bootleg tape of the show that went around?

It’s on YouTube but I don’t know if it’s it… Probably the same tour

https://youtu.be/mmi60Bd4jSs

they broke ground, we danced on it.

1 Like

My dog had a gut feeling this morning… I took this picture when the kids wrapped him up around 8:30 just before homeschooling started …

2 Likes

Nice pro-shot full live show from the Pyramid days. Probably their peak IMO. Certainly one of the best shows I’ve ever seen and recontextualized their lesser works in a way that helped me appreciate them.

https://youtu.be/udvYSd2TIkg

2 Likes

obvs we know better BUT:

4 Likes

Yeah, not the end of the world. They achieved a lot and better to cap/stem it there than risk further dilution through self-indulgence.

Keen to hear some solo stuff from now (please don’t alert me to Roule/Crydamoure existing). Would love if it turns out Guy-Man’s solely responsible for the sad robot pseduo-ballads and we just got a whole album of those.

1 Like

Watched this in the middle of the day once…really horrible (in the true sense of the word) genius filmmaking. Soundtrack is oppressive to say the least

1 Like

https://youtu.be/XC4utn9jWd4

1 Like

Would be great if they now went back to putting some music out with none of the pressure or expection of Daft Punk.
Trax On Da Rocks 3 &some new Le Knight Club stuff would be great.

3 Likes

I hope they do stuff like before.

2 Likes

Only got to see them in 2007 at the Hyde Park gig, was pretty special. Homework was a big influence on me. The latter stuff was a bit meh.

Reminded me of the Jaxx party with DJ Sneak at the Junction. Bonkers night…98 I think?

2 Likes