COMP'D! (albums, that is)

The whole series

6 Likes

For me I either love or loathe compilations, when created with love and passion they can be windows into new musical worlds or recontextualisations of scenes or genres from a contemporary perspective, when done badly they are little more than cynical cash ins where the artists probably don’t see any of the royalties. Back in the late 90s Soul Jazz were absolutely nailing it, I think I bought on sight every compilation they released. Some of my favourites were these:

Currently Music From Memory are doing much the same and I again am buying everything they put out. These are all brilliant.

and volume 2

Of course this!

There are loads more I could mention, these two labels just stand out above the rest for me.

13 Likes

Indeed. Love them all.

Pound for pound MFM is up there with the very best. New Japanese pop one due out sounds great too.

Agreed! Didn’t see your post before making mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yup got my eye on that one too!

9 Likes

Agree. Such an evocative collection of music

Whoops forgot about Spacetalk🤭 All of theirs have been brilliant too!

6 Likes

Think Night City Life is actually my favourite of theirs.

1 Like

This one is brill too.

10 Likes

Both Electric Chair compilations from the early 2000s. Sadly my copies fell apart long ago.

And more recently Young Marco’s Welcome To Paradise dream house comps

12 Likes
12 Likes

Totally agree

Enjoying these at the moment. Released this January:

2 Likes

I really like this one. It turned me on to Aloha Got Soul who put out some lovely music.

6 Likes

Both of the Jura Sound System comps are really nice. Great label.

5 Likes

Psychemagik have put together some good comps over the years. This one being a favourite:

Light Sounds Dark have released too many to list but I have been revisiting these a lot over lockdown.

2 Likes

All time classic…

5 Likes

I second this one, it mined a pretty untouched area at the time and was all killer, no filler.