COMP'D! (albums, that is)

That’s right folxs this is a space for the pinnacle of human artistic achievement: the compilation album. Thematic, stylistic, time/place, it’s all welcome here. Here’s a pan-slavic wash of balkan fOnkers sure to get Marshal Tito grooving in his grave. Put it in H!

https://64.media.tumblr.com/63c25a61ba6f8290a6cde8f31c5e3936/tumblr_mtxfoonMdV1sib3c4o1_250.gifv

2 Likes

Personal space

11 Likes

Jamming Personal Space in the car today! Had forgotten how good it is - wonderful comp.

3 Likes

This opened a few doors too

Disc O Lypso

5 Likes

*puts on moderators hat hehehe - is the same as the mix cd’s thread? feels similar but could go in a new direction. :man_shrugging:

@brendr you decide… : )

I think a mix CD is a seamlessly mixed sequence of music. A compilation has gaps, and isn’t mixed. And as @brendr says, it is indeed the pinnacle of human artistic achievement…

I’ve caned this one over the past couple of years: https://lesdisquesbongojoe.bandcamp.com/album/la-contra-ola-synth-wave-post-punk-from-spain-1980-86

ps. @apiento thanks for setting this forum up, it’s just what the doctor ordered.

3 Likes

@ufstylus - I think you have solved the question. Very good point well made.

And you are welcome. So nice to see people talking about meeting from similar areas and stuff already. The best bit really. : )

1 Like

@ufstylus hit the nail on the head. A couple others for inspo:
Psych funk 101
Rough guide to psychedelic cumbia

1 Like

Damn, I need a copy of this!

Not particularly underground or anything but All Back To Mine the Sean Rowley comp from 1999 has been a firm favourite ever since.

Love the concept of tunes you heard back at someone’s house for afters. We’ve all been there!

Juggy /Soul at Sunrise is an absolute killer vibe.

8 Likes

You need these two, trust me.

8 Likes

There was a joke on fb where you could make your own Numero comp title like: “Upsetting Policies - Radical Guyanan Jazzfunk 1971-76” anyone have that? Can’t find it anymore

1 Like

Both ‘The Loft’ Comps by David Mancuso that came out via Nuphonic were and still are great releases. I have both on CD, though due to playing them constantly over the years the cases have pretty much fell apart. ( I was addicted to buying Nuphonic 12’s, and Tirk.)

MI0000592915

28 Likes

These Loft CDs changed my life!

4 Likes

This is a killer comp, and super unusual. Music from the first years of democracy in Venezuela, 66-78. I don’t know what they were putting in their tea but I’ll have some of it.

“… jazz, rock, salsa, funk, psych, prog and disco, sat next to guajira, cumbia, cha-cha-cha and even the hugely-popular Venezuelan style of joropo”

2 Likes

This one introduced me to Konk

This one has plenty to go at

This one is completely spanked

This is flawless

14 Likes

16 Likes

Speaking of Nuphonic, and how a compilation can be a seminal artistic statement, Weatherall’s Nine O’Clock Drop absolutely blew me away when it came out, and opened up new ideas of what dance music can sound like to me. At the time, at least in my sphere, these kind of tunes weren’t getting played.

11 Likes

Uneven Paths: Deviant Pop From Europe 1980​-​1991
You could make a case for most of the Music From Memory comps but this was a particularly good one:

18 Likes

Loved Ross Allen’s radio shows on Sunday nights early 2000’s. This kind of sums them up:

4 Likes