Coffee Table Books

Like @Doctorbrowncelray I love large format books (always found the descriptor “coffee table” a bit derisive) and have bought far too many. A few favorites:

1. William Eggleston - The Democratic Forest
  2. Saudek (NSFW)
  3. Carlos Mota - Beige is Not a Colour
  4. Pools - Kelly Klein
  5. Discstyle - The Graphic Arts of Electronic Music & Club Culture
  6. Armin Heinemann - Paula’s Ibiza
3 Likes

An oldie but a goodie. This beautiful book is lovingly photographed and annotated. All about the making of that lovely smelling brown stuff I adored so much a few years back.

https://www.amazon.com/Hashish-Suomi-Valle/dp/0704324504

5 Likes

This very heavily detailed and in depth look at the jazz, and related scene’s in the uk was a very interesting read. Mark Cotgrove (Snowboy) is a living cultural oracle when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/from-jazz-funk-fusion-to-acid-jazz-mark-cotgrove/book/9781438973609.html

4 Likes

I made a playlist as I went through the book. Every song mentioned in every interview until I lost steam near the very end. Still seems worth sharing:

2 Likes

I have heard tell of a coffee table book that’s so coffee table it actually is a coffee table

2 Likes

Kramerica Industries put one out a few years ago…

1 Like

Anyone come across this before? French graphic novel style book on the origins of HOUSE. Loft/Garage/Chicago etc.

Got some great stuff in it. Was originally from early 2000s with an English version only fairly recently.

One of the authors (Mathias Cousin) unfortunately and very sadly committed suicide in 2002. The character of “Cyril” in the excellent (well I love it) movie Eden about house music emerging in Paris is based on him.

5 Likes

Yeah, I have this. Definitely worth getting.

1 Like

I think you get a real sense of what a personal project it was for the two guys at the start. It’s a great book.

1 Like

Have just ordered this, Mark Neville is an amazing photographer and the subject is obviously relevant…

Kelly Klein “Pools” is at the top of my want-list for yearssss

1 Like

Just wanted to give the good people of this forum a little heads up on an incredible book thats dropped here in Spain a few weeks ago…a new (thick) book on the design of Ruta Bakalao… thats right, flyers, posters of the Valencian scene and im pleased to say its really really good.
Discos Paradiso put copies on their Instagram stories last night and sold out minutes after opening today…I Dont know how many copies there are printed or if they will repress but i thought i’d share in case people here might be interested (@Apiento )?

Little skim here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswEsofzb7s
Order here: Ruta Gráfica. El diseño del sonido de València — Barlin Libros

8 Likes

Have just ordered this for ‘work’

2 Likes

Picked this up on ebay for 11 quid including postage. Weighs a tonne so think they mucked up their pricing. Usually 100 quid plus. Quite pleased with myself.

9 Likes

EL BAILE. EDICIÓN PARA EL 25 ANIVERSARIO DE LA EMPRESA PACHA (GRUPO PACHA) by RICARDO URGELL (ED.), JIMMY GIMENEZ-ARNAU, JOSE RAMON MARI, JOSEP SANDOVAL, MANUEL VAZQUEZ MONTALBAN, ORIOL REGAS, SILVIA ALEXANDROVITCH, CARLOS MARTORELL, KIM, MONCHO ALPÙENTE, JUAN CARLOS DE LAIGLESIA, ANTONIO ALVAREZ SOLIS, TONI RIERA, CARLOS MARTORELL: Bien Encuadernación de tapa blanda (1993) | Libropesía-srp1--image1

I had an alert if this came up for sale (I managed to get one a few years back) and this is the best price I’ve seen this at - £167 before shipping from Spain.

1 Like

No matter how bad you feel there’s always someone worse off

4 Likes

Brought to you by the Findus Lonely Bastard range.

2 Likes

Calls to mind this great MadTV sketch from the 90s

2 Likes

That’s funny lol

1 Like

That’s a good price.

Mine hasn’t got the dust jacket (or pizza box) and I paid a similar price a good while back

Still kicking myself for not buying a complete edition for £40 from the record and tape about 15 years ago

1 Like