Bandcamp Musts

I’m not sure who I thought the ‘writing about music is like dancing about architecture’ quote was attributed to, but according to a quick search, it was possibly originated by a musical comedian I’ve never heard of, Martin Mull.

Anyway, I’ve been giving it a go, with some short blurbs for The Rutan releases.

He makes sample-based electronic music and I think he’s an expert at building tracks around dubbed-out vocal snippets.

If you like Sun-Ra / dub / hip hop / electro / jazz / electronic music (which is pretty much everyone, right?) then you might find something you like on this EP…

5 Likes

Sounding damn good in the sunshine

12 Likes

Gets better with every listen as well.

1 Like

That’s lush!!

1 Like

So good, i am already planning how to quickmix from “Stakes Is High” into “Ramble In The Rainbow” for when i next play out.

3 Likes

fantastic

1 Like

Nick The Record opened with it Friday night at We Are Love. Sounded incredible.

1 Like

Italian house lushness

7 Likes

Is the 1k for a download to stop this being booted to infinity?

It’s what heavenly do for their comps when they don’t have the licensing for digital. I think bandcamp say you have to offer digital so to avoid selling any they put it at 999

4 Likes

1 Like

Always liked this one from a while back on the excellent Fat Dog Records

https://fatdogrecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-rutan-fable

2 Likes

Psyche yourself up

11 Likes

great…

I got mine off cold cuts hot wax for £16 think it’s on Juno too

He did a vocal remix of that a little while back (if you’ve not already heard it).

3 Likes

Nice. Not heard that before

2 Likes

In a couple of weeks I’m djing a friend’s 50th who is a steel pan player, opening track sorted!

2 Likes

Cracking new comp from Chris Coco’s label, perfect balearic Summer sounds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I loved the last one, had it repeat all year

1 Like