Bandcamp Musts

Theo (Fake Blood/Wiseguys) has got an instrumental hiphop album on bandcamp (vinyl only) I’m excited about… Total price’s a bit steep for civilians though.

1 Like

He’s a talented guy, dope DJ.

Vibraphone Records have a fan club option where you can get pay $3 per month and get almost the whole catalogue instantly, including downloads. But then it says you can also cancel your subscription and keep the music. Interesting. I love the music. Of course I can afford $3 but don’t really understand the business model so feeling a bit shy about taking advantage.

I know what you mean. Seems a little odd. I suppose it’s taken on trust that you will continue the subscription. Maybe they have data which says the average tenure of a subscriber is X and they know they will always be comfortable with the revenue. I suspect not. It’s possible they assume that most people who take out subscriptions never cancel them. But ultimately there’s zero (or very little) cost in digital distribution so it’s just a chance they take. If someone is the kind of person who subscribes, downloads the hell out of it and then cancels then good luck to them. I would like to think that most people who like Italian Dream House are just decent human beings and will continue their subscription for a reasonable time without taking the p***.

3 Likes

New Max Essa is very nice

2 Likes

I guess for some of the smaller labels a lot of people might only buy 1 or 2 tracks per month, and this is good marketing strategy which this would cover without much cost on their part, but ultimately leading a big increase through subscriptions.

Reminds me of one of my local cinemas that changed prices from a standard ticket to 3 options of £4, £8 or £10, depending on what you can afford. They got a big increase in bums on seats and with most people paying the £8.

2 Likes

I have a few subscriptions going on labels I like, such as eckwctics and Claremont etc. I’m more than happy to pay a few quid a month to help support any future releases.

5 Likes

It’s a good model, especially for smaller labels. For every person who might pay more monthly on releases, they must make it up with the more sporadic buyers.

Not just music either. I have subscriptions for various media these days that I enjoy, for podcasts, news, etc. Little cost for me, or for them, yet as long as the quality is good, I’m all in and very unlikely to cancel.

3 Likes

So i subscribed and then discovered you can’t delete from your collection the releases you don’t like. How annoying, haha.

The classic Kane’s Spanish Home edit (Moton) is up on Dennis Kane’s Bandcamp. $2 well spent.

7 Likes

Hope it’s not bad form to post a new release in this thread. The selling thread doesn’t seem to get much action

New one on my label out later this month.

Release notes:

For our ninth offering we are delighted to welcome Lisbon based artist Larry Quest to the label. With previous outings under Delusions of Grandeur and Percebes Musica, Larry is an astute producer adaptable to varying styles, strong in musicality and a particular flair for soulful, jazzy touches and classy deep house music. For the ‘Mystery Herd’ release we are treated to an EP richly inspired by the natural world and the colors within, taking in a range of moods Venus Girdle is named after an underwater comb jelly; ethereal pads, a strong but distant kick and swelling percussion lead this sub-aquatic but grooving feeling. Asian butterfly Alpine Black Swallowtail informs the next track, with its mountainous field-recording and gentle arpeggios answering each other around the harmony of pads. Haliotis stands for the rainbow sea snail. The reverb swelling pad represents waves around them, the synths and percussion the spume and the bass groove embodying the strength of the snail. Nicobarica comes from the Nicobar Pigeon, found in India east of the Malay Archipelago. An organic track with beautifully played keys, live guitar licks and a breezy rhythm section complete with cool rolling percussion all combining making for an infectious groove. Completing the EP is a spaced out, ambient take on Venue Girdle by Joe Morris

Format: Digital & Streaming

Released: April 26th 2022 (Bandcamp exclusive). 9th May 2022 (General digital & streaming)

13 Likes

Very nice mate

1 Like

I think anything Bandcamp related works in this thread. Personally am more than happy to hear of new Bandcamp releases from TP crew.

Digital stuff doesn’t really fit in ‘Last Record I Bought’ either so if someone bought something good on Bandcamp, put it in here too I reckon.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a bit obvious to anyone who discovered Bandcamp a while ago but I’ve only just started with it in the last few weeks and I had been looking for this record for a while but it was always pricy second hand. It’s £33 on Discogs right now so it was a Bandcamp must buy for me.

7 Likes

There’s tons of great stuff on there for £1-£2 a track.

I often come across things I want from seeing what others have bought so feel free to share anything on here.

Loving this - your Ambient Dawn mix is ace! Cheers, @Joe

3 Likes

Thanks glad you like it!

1 Like

New Rich Lane:

1 Like

New Sault album up now on Bandcamp - name your price for digital - it’s amazing…

10 Likes