Worldwide FM

Sad news about its impending closure. Hope Gilles and co can sort things.

Seems a few stations are struggling atm. TWR another looking for sponsorship.

Have these things been on the horizon for a while or is it just down to the cost of living/energy crisis?

2 Likes

Yeah its not good. If anyone can get the sponsorship in it’ll be Gilles. Can’t imagine it uses huge amounts of power to run a radio station. Must be staffing costs / admin business.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thought too. I know Fred Perry have pulled out of Totally Wired due to cutbacks. So I’m assuming all corporate aponsorship is being reigned in/beeing looked at in all areas

1 Like

Sadly sponsorship and marketing budgets are one of the first things to go in a crisis, and I can’t help thinking this is going to be a 1920’s style meltdown the way things are going rather than the every ten years recession.

They should do a US style fundraiser - all US stations have one every year, Dublab included. Although it’s not part of UK radio culture as they’re all BBC or privately owened, I think its impending closure would get a few hands in pockets.

2 Likes

He used to have the WeTransfer sponsorship… Wonder if that’s gone. It’s a big big problem to rely on sponsorship revenue only. They become subject to the whims of the sponsors, and by definition keeping these things afloat is only justifiable if for a limited time. After a while it becomes “wallpaper” and generates little business to the sponsor. Even the Red Bull music academy got the axe for similar reasons (it was actually thought of by a German ad agency and was their project, paid for by Red Bull).

4 Likes

Anyone know how NTS is funded? That’s my go to station most of the time.

1 Like

They do brand collabs then also have a listener supporter scheme where listeners pay small amounts of money. They also pay the DJs per show (this happened after the listener service started) so have a clear business model. They’re great. Can’t sing their praises ebough.

10 Likes

SWU FM closing in Bristol was a real shame… had such energy. Ollie that started and ran it is a great guy.

1BTN have also adoptedthe subscriber model, albeit on a much smaller scale to NTS, but it definitely helps with the running costs.

Still waiting for a paycheck mind…:laughing:

4 Likes

I heard somewhere that the djs on NTS paid NTS a small fee from their gig money I guess as their using the platform to help boost their own careers - probs very untrue

I wonder if running a radio from a venue like a bar/restaurant/hotel/record store would help financing it. Also organise some monthly party maybe to raise a bit of money.

Very untrue. :smiley:

2 Likes

I heard they also eat babies :wink:

DRIPPING WITH SAUCE

2 Likes

Very true

Like Madonna?

1 Like

Wwfm also had subscription plan through “ww family” membership and the “wwfm test press club” were u got a record every month or so along with the subscription. They mustnt have had enough subscriptions tho. Bad news. As a former wwfm family member and test press club member and also nts “friend” subscriber I hope nts is OK! Would be terrible to lose that too!

1 Like

Some funding from Arts Council England as well… and well deserved

1 Like

Is this why it’s disappeared from my internet radio / network streamer thing?

TuneIn? If so maybe not as the radio station I do my weekly show on, which has been active for nearly 15 years disappeared off there a few months back. It has to be added manually now by the user. Not sure what’s going on there!?