When you first hear "it"

It was after buying Tommy Boy Greatest Beats in 1985 when I was 13 that I knew it was going to be the dance from then on. Still got it!

4 Likes

remember that cover well!

Don’t think i’ve ever heard that before :+1:

1 Like

I was a lot later, 2003 to be exact. I was surrounded by some close friends who had been going to all night dnb all nighters/hard-core raves. I hated the music, the shitty gangster MC culture and the general moody feeling that type of music had to it. Everybody seemed so up for a fight and I was quite a gentle individual without much confidence and a lot more introverted than I am now.

At home, it was DJ Shadow, Joy Division and a lot of hip hop/indie and not much else, I hadn’t really found my tribe in school and was doubting a lot where life was going, smoking pot, seeing the odd girl and really starting to quiz where I was heading. I went to Tenerife with the lads, found it fun but also not very stimulating and as a result I started to feel quite distant from my predicted future. I guess a little jaded.

A few months later at the age of 18 and a few months out of pressure from my pals I did decide to go to GodsKitchen for my mates 19th. I also decided on the day of attendance that I would see what the hassle was about and experiment a little more like they did. I walked in to the club and found the atmosphere to be a lot more intense than I thought it would be, I guess I found that quite fascinating for a while as I remember just watching a lot of people and then my pal handed me something. I never really looked back from then on. At the start musically I had quite bad taste but quickly found the backroom of clubs in the super club era and fell in love with house music.

That same night at Godskitchen I was photographed by Mixmag and the photo got into the magazine club listings, hilarious to many still. The caption ‘m is for mongo’ said it all.

5 Likes

Got a boat load of these moments. I turned 50 last year, have twin siblings who are 13 years older than me and my Uncle is a soul boy so I was introduced to Soul, Motown and most importantly James Brown before I was 5 and loved it all. Once Saturday Night Fever came out Disco was huge in our household, I can remember parents and siblings going to disco dancing classes at the my school and my parents threw some pretty cool parties and everyone loved the Disco. It was I Feel Love, I love America, Magic Fly, From East To West and Night Flight to Venus that really made an impression on me. Fast forward… discovering John Peel at around 9 or 10 and was hooked on his shows for years, hearing and loving all sorts of weird shit.

Sugarhill Gang, synth pop sounds, the indie charts from Smash Hits and NME and stuff like New Order ruled my younger teen years and one day my brother told me he’d heard this record he thought i’d like on the Paul Gambachini chart show. That was Planet Rock. Game changed. In 1983 my mate, Julian, showed up at my house clutching Streetsounds Electro 1 on cassette, no need to say any more. John Peel playing Double Dee & Steinski’s Lessons was also a huge moment. Was an avid reader of Black Echoes, Street Scene Magazine and James Hamilton’s Record Mirror pages were an education.

In 1986 I was spending all my YTS wages on every import I could find at the local Virgin Records. One day I picked up this strange LP called Rob Olson’s Chicago Jack Beat, pay no more than £3.99 it said on the sticker… what could go wrong? Two years later we’re on the platform at Spectrum throwing hands at the lasers.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. Alfonso Buller? Is he on here :joy: used to see him out everywhere in MCR. That podcast by Wayne Anthony has a lot of voices from the era on it.

Alfonso was the man, MVITA!

1 Like

MVITA

I like the fact it says location Falmouth. We all slow down eventually

Are there any copies of shows from 1989 floating about?
I got a shout out on one after my gf called into the show, would have been about Nov/Dec '89, heard it on the night but not heard it since.

Ah crap there a Mixcloud link in there somewhere. Bust again

https://www.mixcloud.com/mvita/“

1 Like

I have 12/12/89 in 2 45 min parts I can share.

Nice one, could be that one :+1:

FVITA just ain’t the same :smile:

1 Like

You’ve all got very good memories. I can’t put a finger on it. A few things that stand out (mostly thanks to my older brother):

Stealing his prodigy experience tape to do my paper round & thinking ‘hyper speed’ was mind bending
Stealing a ‘Sasha at the edge’ tape & hearing ‘collapse - your love’
Recording essential mixes and hearing the brothers in rhythm mix of ‘the way it is’ & Sasha play the rabbit in the moon mix of inner city life

2 Likes

Trying to join the dots on where it started for me. My older brother big into music but AC/DC and rock stuff along with all his mates which they tried to drive me towards!

Looking back my epiphany was probably hearing Chaka Khan - I Feel For You, never heard anything like it and the rap in it made a big impression too, think I was about 11. From there we used to buy the Streetsounds - Electro comps (always on tape!), endlessly watching WildStyle and Beat Street, polishing lino with Mum’s Mr Sheen and attempting to break dance. I lost my way for a few years - listened to people who remarked that hip hop wasn’t ‘real’ music as it didn’t have any instruments ffs cannot believe I ever entertained the idea.

Parents spirited me away to North Wales in ‘89 when i was 16…used to make regular trips to Manchester and Liverpool for record shopping (and concerts/clubs once I’d made some friends at college) got big into house and have bought more in the last few years than in the previous decade. The kind people at Sign O’ The Times in Kensington Market used to send me copies of Boy’s Own which was another avenue opened up - not sure it had many readers in N Wales used to get some comments wearing the t-shirt!

2 Likes

Jeez just seeing that - I used to have that on tape forgot about it :pray:

1 Like

Another 80’s moment i’m sure a lot of you Streetsounds fans will remember. Watched it, on Betamax, every day for years.

https://youtu.be/hMCSUo4oWFQ

4 Likes

I’m sure plenty of us had those tapes we rinsed that were always at the ready for anything like this to appear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ykYAAqLxc

The bad meaning good doc was constantly being played. One of those tapes that had ‘don’t even think about it’ inscribed so nobody in your household recorded over it

4 Likes

Ha, remember doing the rounds for a few weeks with that on my list as ‘Claps’ think Dom Moir eventually worked it out…

Probably help if I got the name right (“my love”). It was this remix on about +6 I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JYXxTdmeCt4

1 Like