What don't you get

As a young mod ticket (14yrs in 79) Northern Soul (and ska) was my very first experience of proper black music and dancing, so has been hugely important to me ever since.
Most of my punkier mates ended up listening to goth in the 80s, while the Yardbirds/Who mods ended up taking a circuitous route to Zeppelin and heavier stuff.
Northern Soul saved me :wink:

2 Likes

Well spotted. You’re right- Bauhaus / Black Mountain fascinating and I do like that period of art and design, Twombly etc, it’s the way it’s become commodified.

Like I love Keith Haring but I’m also fucking sick of him for the same reason…

I just find the mod thing, preserved in aspic as it is, hasn’t progressed, become a contradiction in terms.

Kind of a shame really

Yeah my Mrs has a big interest in his wife, Annie Albers, have lots of books on them.

'Less is more" unlike their haircuts…

1 Like

Innocenti♥️

1 Like

Khruangbin - they’re boring, no?

10 Likes

I’m with you there. First heard them at one of the Croatia things years ago when they played on a jetty in the bay, Saturday afternoon as I recall, and it made a lot of sense. But the rest of it has passed me by tbh. Doesn’t seem to have moved on. Maybe I need to give it another go but haven’t been inspired so far.

1 Like

Mmmm, I’ve been thinking this. Kinda same vibe most of the time

the case for the defence:

7 Likes

The album they did with Vieux Farka Toure is just incredible. One of my favourite albums in years.

3 Likes

you know what? You are correct - that album was sensational.

1 Like

Disagree. Saw them at the Roundhouse a couple of years ago and they were brilliant live and more inventive than on record, did a great hip hop segment. I like their dub album too.

This is wonderful off that remix album too

2 Likes

This album is great I agree. Their own LPs are pretty samey though I’ve got two of them!

1 Like

They have a style and sound defo. i was really surprised by how muscular sounding they were live when I saw them on telly from Glastonbury the other year. Would love to see them.

2 Likes

Ok agreed but that’s Felix making it good!

2 Likes

With Ron they are pretty solid.

3 Likes

Haha…yes, what’s all that about? He’s all over my instagram and i don’t even follow him, the massive ted.

1 Like

Also, agree with all the above re Khruangbin, one trick pony. But good remixes and i enjoyed seeing them live for about two songs.

2 Likes

The irreversible collapse of civilisation

https://twitter.com/plinketyplink2/status/1775594795420840205?t=l_BOthm65o8as8v7gkKtHw&s=19

7 Likes

Notaries - what a load of money for nothing. And regulated by the Archbishop of Canterbury!