What are you watching?

Just binged The Bear seasons 1 and 2. Thought it was good, but didn’t get the hype for the first season. Got into the second season a bit more as the characters and plots filled out.
Still prefer Boiling Point (the film and the TV spin of) I think.

BBC’s A Life In 10 Pictures. Really enjoyable format for delivering life stories

Ripley, on Netflix

Black and White psychodrama with Andrew Scott as Tom Ripley

All kinds of cool…

8 Likes

Just started this. I’m into it. Nice to see Andrew Scott being a bit less Andrew Scott too.

2 Likes

I’m two in and loving it!

Very noirish with the b&w.

1 Like

LOVE the photography

1 Like

TOTP marathon into a Marvin at montreux masterclass at 9pm BBC.

1 Like

Don’t tell the cops, I’ve got a naughty copy of Dune Part 2 for tonight. Going to watch part one first, of course, i’m not a savage.

Last Saturday I had a Bladerunner evening. If you ever get the chance to watch the OG with a decent pair of headphones it’s quite the experience.

2 Likes

Just finished Ripley. Loved it.

A superb adaptation and the cinematography is amazing. The black and white / noirish aspect was perfect. It’s basically what The Third Man would look like if it was directed by Fellini or Antonini.

Super cool. I need to go back to Italy.

5 Likes

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Sugar on Apple TV
bit of a whisky ad. Interspersed with shots from famous noirs which I can imagine some will find fucking annoying… I enjoyed it though. Helps if you drink whisky while watching it.

Note that it’s been universally slated !!
So maybe not for everyone lol

2 Likes

It’s all class. Onto EP 4 at the moment. Perfect Sunday evening viewing. Stunning cinematography and framing etc

1 Like

doing the work

7 Likes

That singer in ep 3 or 4 of Ripley in the downstairs bar has an AMAZING voice too.

Lessons in chemistry is a lightweight, nostalgic show that has nothing explicitly wrong with it. A bit heavy handed with it’s themes and issues, even though I agree with them wholeheartedly. Centres on chemistry, cooking and music which are all things many of us like though:

5 Likes

Books very good according to Missus. (LiC). Giving it a go later before our free sub runs out.

Bit niche but beautiful doco about doco photographer Tish Murtha
Cruelly overlooked

1 Like

The BBC doc about Caroline Aherne is pretty special. What a Woman.

5 Likes

Thanks so much to the Ripley recommenders. It would have probably passed me by otherwise.
High quality viewing. Not finished yet but really enjoying so far.

Also a very belated thank you to whoever gave the heads up on the French show The Bureau (@jolyon perhaps?). Also excellent.

7 Likes

Anyone know where to find the main song? Apparently it’s by Malcolm McLaren and called Christy’s theme or similar…

1 Like
6 Likes