What are you watching?

Brilliant achievement! Loved the game against Spain in the quarters. Was a proper big tournament game and had everything.

1 Like

Speechless. Momentous. Wonderfull. :fire: :fire: :fire:

4 Likes

Even a human being that happened to be born in the Scottish part of the UK thoroughly enjoyed this. Strange.

6 Likes

I love that my girls have no idea how incredible this is. The world is changing. Slowly

3 Likes

Amazing what happens when a team plays as a team rather than a collection of indvidual egos, isnt it?

3 Likes

Innit

1 Like

Wrong thread folks, but, well, just this once eh

3 Likes

Biggest crowd for a Euros final regardless of gender. Incredible!

2 Likes

Who knew that all it took for sport to be joyous was the taming of male egos?

5 Likes

Euros final. Amazing!

“The Most Hated Man on The Internet” on Netflix. Bottom of the barrel of social media/internet misogyny and hate and using humans as disposable income but with a hero mum who won’t let it go. Good but felt disheartening with where we’ve got to.

1 Like

Lancaster. SKY Docs

Really lovely poignant documentary about the Lancaster bomber and the men who flew bombing raids over Germany between 1941-45. These fellas were just 20 years old, and went on highly dangerous operations night after night not knowing if they’d ever come home. Really puts modern life into perspective seeing the sacrifices and bravery these men went through

2 Likes

A bit of affordable theatre. I was sceptical about the NTLive experience, until I went to one. Now, I am a big fan. Jodie Comer live in a venue near you tonight and tomorrow. Meant to be good.

3 Likes

Just watched Saint Maud. Bit much for a Monday. Powerful and visceral. Will be lodged in my psyche for quite some time.

4 Likes

Superb film. The ending :astonished:

Saw it at the cinema on a quiet afternoon with about 3 other people. Made it even more haunting. Great film!

A great modern horror

A few scenes are still replaying in my head.

Light & Magic. Disney+

The story of Industrial Light & Magic who worked on the first Star Wars films, and were very instrumental in developing ground breaking special effects through the 80s, 90s and up tp present day. Its pretty nerdy stuff but interesting to see how some inconic movie sequences came together

2 Likes

just started watching this last night, got through the first two episodes. enjoying it so far, but i’m sort of expecting my interest in it to wane the further we go on. and here’s why:

as we learned in the first episode, the folks who were gathered and hired for ILM were scrappy and multi-talented - from storyboarding to matte painting to camera operation they were mostly self-taught and experimental. i find that fascinating, and the work that came out of that really was magic.

i know that eventually, the computers are going to show up. and eventually, computers remove all the “how in the hell did they do that?” mystery. it’s why i don’t care about modern visual effects - the answer is always the same. there’s no light, no film, no multi-skilled person with a clever idea and a willingness to try. just software. BORING!

also: i have a lot of respect for george lucas, but i still to this day refuse to believe that he had this grand plan of creating a universe that would support as many stories as it did. admit it george: you made a movie and then got to make some sequels. acting like he had this ultimate vision that would turn into a massive life’s work, just fully formed and realized in his head is tiresome. if star wars had flopped, he’d likely have moved into rom-coms, screwball sex comedies, or maybe documentaries… just like anyone else, he’d work to pay the bills. dude worked his ass off, but he also got very lucky.

maybe had THX-1138 been the massive success that SW was, he’d have nine feature length films about the oppressive society build in future underground tunnels.

4 Likes

You are kind of on the right track with the computers thing but the doc shows that there was still a huge amount of trial and error and individual innovation going on. It wasnt like computers werent there one day and the next they were. It also displays some of the personal costs of some of the highly skilled model makers and puppeteers whose careers were essentially over once digital art was a possibility

As for Lucas it doesnt try sell the idea he had a grand plan for a Universe but it does do a good job of saying he had a vision for digital effects and film making very early on which kind of came to pass