Unsung Heroes of House

Luke Solomon and Kenny Hawkes (RIP)
don’t think they get the props deserved for stuff like girls fm, space (imagine a regular weekly party now, in Central with the people they got to play).
And luke for Classic/ music for freaks. Luke is also a brilliant dj, much better than most I see headlining festivals / clubs.

3 Likes

We had the both over playing in Ireland… Them boys could party… Lol

1 Like

I absolutely love DJ Q

2 Likes

Glasgow’s Jazz
Delirious

I used to have quite a few of his Filter releases on promo because Vinyl Exchange in Manchester used to have them in the bargain bins at £1 each or something like that so i snapped them up, lotta good House stuff coming outta Glasgow in the mid/late 90s, Muzique Tropique, Silicon Soul, DJ Harri’s stuff…a great House music city.

3 Likes

Shout out to Art Forest

https://youtu.be/wMVbietCEcU

Rhadoooooooo

Probably not unsung in Romania mind. Cracking DJ and sometime producer

1 Like

Same, but for me it was Record & Tape Exchange on Goldhawk Rd in London. Glasgow Underground was a great label too.

1 Like

More Scottish goodness

Fred P

So prolific and always spot on

3 Likes

Yvonne Turner, Unsung Heroine of House. From this:

https://youtu.be/YR9uClB3PZs

To this:

1 Like

Yes to Muzique Tropique. Used to rinse the Festival EP.

Also Chris Duckenfield and that early Swag stuff. Don’t know if he counts as unsung but has done tons of good stuff over the years.

3 Likes

His early stuff is soooo good, guy has true talent for melody, atmosphere and rhythm. Black Magic is one of my favorite tracks ever. Can’t get any deeper than this. Here’s Didier Allyne (talking about underrated djs…) dropping Black Magic at Rex Club in Paris some years back (5:30min in)

1 Like

Talking about deepness and being able to create a certain atmosphere with very little, I bought this one a few weeks back. Other track on this EP is nice as well. Patrice Scott, Aybee, Dubbyman just to name a few are all good in this vein but feel Fred P nailed this sound even more.

1 Like

Mr Dj Qu needs a shout out too. Brilliant producer, super consistent and distinctive sound.

1 Like

We got to Kenny night in London years ago, during the Girls fm days think it was on Tuesday or Wednesday definitely mid week, barrumba i think was the venue

1 Like

Yes indeed…good shout. Toc is a go to record of his as always fries my brain

1 Like

Lovely record. Very apt title.

1 Like

Lars bartkuhn deserves a mention

4 Likes

I’ve got the House of Jazz 12" and every track is a cracker.