Trip Hop - Great Music Labelled Wrong

The Drum Syrup podcast is well worth listening to for some holiday relaxation trip hop. Def on the cusp of lounge trip hop but there’s some nice, breezy mixes on there: Stream DRUM SYRUP PODCAST 08 - MARI.TE by Ba Dum Tish | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

Yes that’s a great mix. Listened to it loads last year. Great for working to.

On a separate note, popped into my local record shop last week (the excellent Sugar Bush Records in Tunbridge Wells) and they had a shed load of used downtempo on CD. So I spent about £50 on 90’s trip hop. Mainly Pork but some Ninja Tune. Result!

5 Likes

The Rebirth of Cool series on 4th & Broadway done by Patrick Forge always had loads of good tracks on from this ilk.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Bad trip hop for me was acts like Morcheeba and other “coffee table book” music that seemed to run along safe, polite lines.

Good trip hop was taking universal musical inputs, bass from reggae, percussion from latin, acid from house, squleches from techno, and everything from jazz/soul and hip hop - twisting things a little bit to the left - and pressing up whatever happens.

Loads of great music already mentioned is like a walk down memory lane. Red Snapper, K+D, DJs Cam, Krush and Shadow, Skylab, Archive, Tosca, Howie B, loads of Mo’Wax.

Personal favourites: Deadbeats - Funky for You (Spacehopper mix)

K+D’s first record (I think?)
Young Man

4 Likes
5 Likes

A couple more:

New one from Mono Disco and @dustyfingers

And an old one from Single Cell Orchestra:

1 Like

Some great beaty type stuff on this label
https://www.discogs.com/label/14340-Sunglasses-After-Dark?page=1

Particularly

3 Likes

Not sure if this counts as trip hop, but I remember it getting played by a lot of DJ’s on that scene.

11 Likes

A morning of downtempo business… The Tricky record came out of our office where Guerilla Records was (Lisa Loud’s promo company was in there and Leftfield’s manager and label run by Lisa Horan - where I first met Mison around 91 - and a lady called Sally Gross that had the Tricky record and was working with him. Tricky pressed it off a cassette. It blew my young stoned mind. The b side has a big Prince sample. Me and my friend Dean who did Sabersonic with Weatherall walked around London trying to get it in the shops. One of the only ones to take a load was Fat Cat who totally got it.

21 Likes

Portishead remix of Wildwood is good too.

A couple of faves (wish I’d never sold all my Mo Wax in the mid 2000’s :expressionless:)

7 Likes

Abraham were so good…

3 Likes

Loved Abraham - the early singles to that Morgan Geist mix of “Magpie” that dropped during the Metro Area era…

6 Likes

Another decent trip hop / dowtempo mix by Josh Tweek

1 Like

This one was my a&r : )

4 Likes

Love that mix. Was quite partial to the bonkers Herbert mix of What Gives too.

2 Likes

played that one a LOT. still would, too!

3 Likes

Honeycoated vocals is spot on. I love Martina’s voice.

1 Like

That Herbert one. At the time he said he was going to only use the packaging and what was in it to make the sounds for the remix so I went to early learning centre and bought a load of kids musical rattles and stuff so he would do a percussive remix. Sort of worked…

6 Likes

I remember thinking it was nuts, but enjoyed it.

1 Like