The sound of now aka the sound of 1990: streetsoul

Yeah man some great history in these shows. There’s a ton of episodes and so much knowledge on display. A really great resource

1 Like

This one features in the Manchester 90s mix above.
Its probably my most played record of 2020 as Id not heard of it until last year, I was playing Q-Tee / Afrika (Love And Laughter Mix) and wondered who Love And Laughter were which lead me to this track:

9 Likes

:wave:t3: American dude here. Can someone give me a couple sentences of context for this scene? I’ve seen references in passing while reading various books and magazines but the music seems pretty far-ranging and diverse to me. What tied it together? Was it a regional thing? A reaction to four-to-the-floor dance music? A lot of this stuff never saw the light of day over here. The biggest exception obviously being Soul II soul. If you didn’t have a strong doubles game for the intro to “Back 2 Life” you weren’t top choice selector in nyc. The Rose Royce cover got a lot of burn in cooler clubs in the city but never grew beyond that. A lot of the stuff in this thread that we thought of more as trip-hop grabbed a toe hold but was sort of derided as being a lite alternative to hip hop and then the remainder of what’s in this thread is foreign to me (pun intended).

hey @Doctorbrowncelray - this is probably as good an explainer as you’ll find online:

4 Likes

Ah sweet! Many thanks :pray:t3:

There’s an article here from i-D in the uk…

6 Likes

Thanks Paul - was looking for that one too - knew I had seen another good read on it

1 Like

Has anyone read Mark Rae’s book?

2 Likes

Excerpts on YouTube from this tape. Nice to hear how the music was actually being presented.

2 Likes

As my Uncle Earl would say “oh this is a slumper!” about to blast this on our way home from the country in the snow. Big blessings. :pray:t3:

this one’s pretty sweet:

3rd Zone - You Stole My Heart (remix) (1993)

Its on the Rainer Truby compilation Soul Gliding on BBE which came out last year. Brillaint comp

1 Like

this thread has sent me down a neverending rabbit hole. this is new to me, sick tune:

Sam - Look What You’ve Lost

and look at that record sleeve - MY GOD!

4 Likes

this is beautiful as well:

Sharp And Sure - As Time Goes By (Dub Mix)

(the vocal version is NOT GOOD though imo)

2 Likes

of course what we all really want is numero to do a physical of Ashaye - Dreaming (Jungle Mix) amirite?

7 Likes

Love Kiss The Sky :kiss: :partly_sunny:

1 Like

Another article on Street Soul that I just saw by Jesse Bernard aka @MarvinsCorridor on Twitter for Trench.

4 Likes

Hell yeah that’s the joint

1 Like

Funny i like the vocal side better, the dub is alright but not much going on.

I’ve got a severe aversion to the original song to be honest, so maybe it’s just me!