The Health Kick (Inside)

Far from it, you’ve given me the push I need to try myself, do you have any good recipes or tips?

1 Like

Far from it in fact you’ve given me the push I need to try myself, do you have any good recipes or tips?

Feeling ashamed of myself after wolfing down some Pound Bakery for lunch (living the dream) then reading this thread

When I had a 9-5 it was more like an 8-8, which meant I regularly ate dinner from Greggs at London Bridge Station. So good when you’re hungry (and they know it).

Got 50% off the first box, it came to £14 and it’s 30% off the next three boxes so i’m very happy about that. I watched a good few review videos about it on YT and i’ll definitely be able to get two nights of meals from one. Portion sizes look great. I absolutely hate going shopping and trying to decide what to cook so i’m excited to try this.

1 Like

A few years back I started a weekly routine that’s worked well for me so far.

Food: 5 days per week I eat a vegetarian, calorie restricted diet (2000 p/day) - nothing extreme, just being very aware of what you eat, and how much.
I use an app called MyFitnessPal which you can use to either scan ingredients in or add recipes from the web, or your own. Everything home cooked and plenty of variety. I usually prepare food for the week on Sundays so I’m not having to do anything after work.

Then I have 2 days of eating whatever I want.

Exercise: Minimum 10,000 steps per day. If you have a dog, that’s easy. Luckily I do that and more just at work most days. Also with my old, knackered knees from skateboarding, I go for a swim 3 times a week followed by the steam room & sauna.

3 Likes

The gym

9 Likes

Dunno if this is legible, but it is what I used. You can substitute with pretty much any veg you have. Book: The Modern Preserver, Kylie Newton.

1 Like

I make a lot of different ferments, things like krauts and kombucha as well as lacto fermented vegetables. It’s like a science experiment with health benefits.

I try to keep the same weight as much as possible, I always seem to have a lapse at Christmas which carries on till January. There is something about the dark nights, chocolate, cake, beers and such like that really helps with January so my weight has gone up a few lb’s. I’ll be back to being careful when I get through this month.

I eat mainly a vegetarian diet so that usually helps. The vegan craze whilst initially was very helpful for a healthy lifestyle is now so popular that there is a lot of disgustingly bad for you vegan food in the supermarkets, I saw a vegan KFC chicken bucket mock thing the other week in the supermarket. It looked well weird and probably had some very strange things in it.

4 Likes

LOVING the Gousto. Tasty stuff… and I haven’t had to set foot in a supermarket all week. That’s worth the price alone.

Any fave meals, Paul?

2 Likes

I do write on the cards saying either ‘banging’ or ‘boring’. There is no middle ground. :smiley:. I’ll have a look.

2 Likes

The chains (McDonalds, KFC) do seem to be embracing (or at least trialling) plant-based meats at last, which is good news for animals and probably the planet. And I’m going to assume it’s better for people.

Not sure about the food being better for you! Lots of currently marketed vegan food is reconstituted shite that has the nutritional value of cardboard. It’s also funny when Gregg’s etc started to do vegan sausage rolls as this stuff has been available since time began in NG7.

I was a pre trendy vegan for 20 odd years until my dotage then I started to eat a little bit of everything.

But yes it is probably better for the planet if we were all vegan x

As an aside there was a genuine question in Vegan magazine years ago if it was ok to swallow semen…

3 Likes

Funny hearing kids on the bus asking friends are you still vegan? :rofl:

2 Likes

Tried out making some Kimchi, which is delicious, but have had to go for a belt and braces Tupperware approach as the smell was too much for the Mrs and kids.

8 Likes

Anyone have experience with breakthrough COVID? Triple-vaxxed and just started to go out a bit more the last couple weeks (restaurants, concerts) and came down with the nasty shit. Home rapid test was neg but full PCR revealed the truth. Cough, loss of olfactory sense, fever, etc. Rather surprised at how strong it hit me.

A lot of people at my work are the same. The newer omicron variant seems to have harsher symptoms than before. I’m expecting to be hit anytime now.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Lots of people I know seem to have caught it recently and many have suffered pretty badly ie still positive after 7 days. Hope you get well soon.

Interesting that recent U.K. data says that Covid is now less deadly than flu:

“Despite high case rates the pandemic is currently in a less damaging phase and the global death rate is one-third of the peak recorded in January 2021. The FT’s John Burn-Murdoch notes that in the UK the ratio of people infected to deaths for COVID is now lower than that for seasonal flu. For 100,000 people infected with COVID in the UK there are currently roughly 35 deaths; 100,000 flu infections would cause about 40 deaths. The scale of the decline in the severity of COVID is remarkable. In January 2021, 100,000 COVID infections were estimated to cause over 1,000 deaths.”

3 Likes

I finally succumbed a couple of weeks ago. Think I dodged a bad dose though. Just very tired for a few days with a banging headache. Five days of testing positive and then felt okay.

I know a few mates who are still testing positive after 13 days.

1 Like

Had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Chesty cough and a little tiredness but no other symptoms, wouldn’t have felt that I need to take time off work if it was a normal cold, tested positive for 9 days. Still quite chesty now two weeks later. I think I probably caught it off our two year old as there were a few cases at his nursery, tried testing him but nigh on impossible. Nobody else in the family caught it off me.

1 Like