The Dry Drinker Association

I tried that Gordons 0 percent gin. I thought it was not good. Anyone like it? Did I miss a trick?

1 Like

I’ve never really been into any of the NA spirits. What I can’t get my head around though is that gin is just vodka, flavoured with juniper. Given that vodka in its pure form is, essentially flavorless, how difficult can it be to create a juniper flavored NA drink?

Personally, I’d rather just have a nice Fever Tree flavored tonic ( Aromatic or Damson & Sloe Berry) over ice with a bit of flamed orange peel. Just as tasty.

2 Likes

My people!

Lucky Saint is my go to low/no lager

2 Likes

Elderflower & tonic, tastes very similar to a G&T

I’ll try this… How do you flame orange haha. Literally peel a bit and set fire to it?

2 Likes

Blow torch and tongs - hold it over the drink, and the orange oil drips out. Delicious!

3 Likes

I’d completely forgotten that I had some Adnams Ghost Ship (0.5%) in the fridge until last night.
Just got a PITA piece of work completed that was a lot more effort than I expected, on top of shovelling snow (we had 40-50cm in one night earlier this week over here!) and generally felt “I fucking well deserve a drink!” - then realized I couldn’t be arsed with anything actually involving alcohol. Found the Ghost Ship. Completely hit the spot.

Sure, it’s not got as full-bodied a mouthfeel as a regular beer, but the maltiness and hop flavour was certainly present and nowhere near as “watered-down” feeling as I’ve experienced with others. Definitely an enjoyable thirst-quencher that hits all the right buttons if you enjoy actual English ales (which are rare as rocking horse shit on this side of the pond in general, but wevs).

5 Likes

This bodes well for having more variety out there in the not-too-distant future:

(warning: gets nerdy but it’s fairly well written - the Escarpment peeps are pretty good at that sort of thing)

Basically, small breweries now have what sounds like another serious tool for the job of brewing LA/NA beers: yeast strains that are capable of producing very little alcohol during fermentation. combined with a few other tricks (listed in that article, if anyone else is of a brewing bent), this should really open up the field.
Potentially exciting times ahead for dry drinkers who like beer.

1 Like

One for the central London folk. My mate Annette went here to this pop up alcohol free off license today and said it’s amazing. Apparently you can try every drink on sale.

3 Likes

Really? I’m after having 6 pints of Murphys and 2 French coffees, my youngest is staying in her friends house tonight and my Mrs is off taking mushrooms at this round tower they go to every few months, has a sweat lodge :roll_eyes: and some bloke doing a ceremony of some sorts, best of all no phone or Internet coverage… Cookie jar may well and truly be raided tonight… Apologies now for any shit talk. :kissing_heart:

8 Likes

The Erdinger wheat beer is decent! The “Wheatiness” gives it the thickness a lot of the no alcohol beers lack

2 Likes

I’ve had that when people left it in our house… Its really good

I got a job offer in Saudi Arabia during the pandemic, I was already in a much-needed detox from alcohol, so for me, this job was a blessing after a decade of overworking in clubs and parties. I’m taking care of the beverage programme of some new restaurants and I would suggest this cocktail book: Zero Proof: 90 Non-Alcoholic Recipes for Mindful Drinking: Ramirez, Elva: 9780358211914: Amazon.com: Books 1

It’s a great and home-friendly cocktail book, everything is without alcohol and helped me to get some inspiration.

For the geeks I recommend this no-alcohol sake, I tried a few and this is a great and honest price: Gekkeikan Alcohol-Free 0.00% Daiginjo Sake, 245 ml - Japan Centre -.

Bitburger does great non-alcoholic beer, is dry and not far from a real one, most of the other brands I tried to go hard on sugar content for some reason and its nauseating.

I also have an alcohol free sparkling wine from martini and it’s surprisingly decent compared to other brands, which are basically filling up a bottle with way too much sugar.

I personally really missed a pint at a pub in London, but I’m feeling great so far and I can focus much more on music

3 Likes

I last got silly drunk around 2001/02 when I went to a xmas work thing in Farringdon, got wrecked, fell down the stairs at edgware road tube, found myself helped by some Australian backpacker who called a fucking ambulance, only to then find myself awaking on a stretcher at St Marys staring up at my puzzled flatmate. The shame was overwhelming, wasting everyone’s time… Since then an internal brake has stopped me getting seriously pissed. It was mostly other forms of sin thereafter and the world consequently changed in many ways. I could never not have a drink esp after heavy workdays though and wine in Spain is as essential as oxygen. Luckily there isn’t that quaffing culture so that slows it all down.

7 Likes

This is the full fat Estrella Galicia :yum: a mate was drinking the 0.0 one tonight and it’s really good.

1 Like

They now have a permanent shop on Drury Lane. We stocked up for Christmas there with some really good NA options.

2 Likes

As I get further into not drinking, I’m starting to really reduce the amount of liquid I consume when I’m out. At first, it was a case of always having a drink in hand, but now I don’t really bother apart from when I first get to a place or actually feel thirsty. Publicans must love me…

5 Likes

Must try that.

Huge fan here of the Guinness 0% cans. I see when they serve it in pubs, the “tap” is just a device they put a can into and it opens and pours it from the can.

Also Aldi’s Saint Etienne 0% is the best non-alcoholic lager I’ve tried. Amazingly the 500ml bottle is only 99 cent here in Ireland. Cheaper than water.

2 Likes

I’m the same. Although we have a decent supply in the fridge, I’ll maybe have a couple of cans on a Friday/Saturday and that’s pretty much it.

1 Like

I’m going to check some of those out. I really like the Heineken 0.0 cans - they don’t seem to taste too radically different from normal Heineken which I’ve always had a soft spot for. Certainly way nicer than the vile Perroni equivalent.

1 Like