Reggae Albums

The current, well overdue but looking like it will be short lived, sunny weather has me reaching for reggae albums. They feel like perfect listens for hot city days.
Couple of my “go to” choices below, what are other peoples selections?

3 Likes

There are many.

As a starter:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6969301-Cedric-Im-Brooks-The-Light-Of-Saba-The-Magical-Light-Of-Saba

Bought a reissue of the first Tapper Zukie album at the Indie Label Record Fair yesterday which I’m loving a lot.

https://www.discogs.com/master/126449-Topper-Zukie-Man-Ah-Warrior

2 Likes

Ellis father and son double header

Love this one, just really great songs.

Bit dubbier and featuring Jackie Mittoo and co

Fave reggae album is defo Heart of the Congos. Those harmonies are so sweet and scratch at his best in the Black Ark

This dub mix by David Byrne of all people is sounding sweet in the sun today:

7 Likes

Seconding Heart of the Congos & Ill throw in East of the River Nile & Macka Fatt

1 Like

Ah did you buy that Tapper Zukie from the Honest Jon’s stall for £15? I clocked it and thought about buying it for a sec, should have by the sounds of it

1 Like

Yes! Exactly that.

1 Like

horace-andy-front

6 Likes

Two personal faves here :dotted_line_face:

: )

1 Like

I had an online argument 10+ years ago with american hiphop heads about Jamaican sound system culture being the template for the birth of rap.
They weren’t having it! :sob: :joy:

2 Likes

They were wrong and I reckon Kool Herc would agree :grinning:

3 Likes

A big one for me

3 Likes

+1 for that Prince Douglas album, an all timer for me. Pure sunshine in audio form.

These two also come out when the sun does

4 Likes

Some Essentials

4 Likes

That Light of Saba album is an all timer. I was lucky enough to see some of the band play in Jamaica in 2010 - write up and some video clips here on the early Test Pressing site:
Piece: Postcards From Jamaica #3 – Tribute to Count Ossie | Test Pressing (wordpress.com)

2 Likes

Love that Dadawah album, proper head music

5 Likes

I always reach for this one when the sun comes out

The dub mix is essential too

2 Likes

and the classic unlikely Balearic Reggae Crossover:

1 Like