Records you either lost, sold or gave away and regret

its not records, but i used to collect drone and ambient tapes. for some reason decided to take a rucksack full of them on a driving holiday to italy. parked the car in rome came back to find the bag had been nicked. they also didnt take my laptop or camera. sometimes wonder if they were into music. i hope so. about 70 really odd and rare tapes from underground gigs.
listening to this at the moment, i think it could help us all on here lol

1 Like

Interesting to see the prices.

There is another original House dj, UK godfather as titled by Grooverider, and some of the prices he was charging were eye watering.

It might sound odd, but looking back Iโ€™m glad that we didnโ€™t come back while it was happening. For a long time we were pissed that we didnโ€™t catch them. Back then it would have been a bloody affair with all the consequences for life that comes from such situations. So a positive ending in some way.

1 Like

I know (saw) who you mean. Piss take prices and funnily enough didnโ€™t appear to be selling many.

I had a big accumulation of tunes in a lockup 10-15 years ago and sick of the ยฃ100 a month rental I took them all to a record fair to sell off.
One guy bought a bundle then made it known to his mate heโ€™d got a ยฃ60 disco tune for a quid infront of me- no idea what.
There was also a wedge of Robโ€™s Records house things that I didnโ€™t care for. A year or two later it dawned on me Iโ€™d got rid of Digital Justice- Itโ€™s All Gone Pear Shaped (ironic title!). Since rebought it though.

The unsold stuff I had leftover all got dropped off at the local Oxfam after the fair. Over 20 boxes worth. Felt good to be shot of it tbh.

1 Like

That Digital Justice track is an absolute belter.

Iโ€™ve literally been buying half the records I lost or sold in the 90s. Just bought another old peacefrog record.

5 Likes

The Price Jackinโ€™ Zone

1 Like

this. turned my records upside down trying to find it. itโ€™s since been reissued which has taken the edge off a bit

1 Like

Nice that. On a Weatherall tape I posted up a while back. Borrowed in full by Mateo & Matos on Glasgow Underground a couple of years later

1 Like

Lost then rebought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-aXwIget1Q

2 Likes

I think Mateo and Mateos were good at borrowing : )

In a world of itโ€™s own. Kind of like a 90โ€™s spin on E2-E4 or Music for 18 Musicians now i think about it?

4 Likes

Very true. Hands up, i knew the latter first. I think the Guv used both on the tape i posted

Wow, never heard that before. Iโ€™m off to discogs, thanks.

Discogs tells me I sold Jam J ( Weatherall / James) for ยฃ1.49

Great at 33 or 45.

About 12 years ago I had quite bad depression and as part of that sold quite a lot of records because I was sick of them and basically quit DJing. I only really regret selling one of them (an amazing Finnish ambient/Prog album that I got rid of for ยฃ50 and goes for three times that now). The rest I donโ€™t miss. I worked out from my discogs and eBay account that Iโ€™ve sold around 1500 to 2000 records over the last 15 years. I canโ€™t remember most of them and it does make you realise that you can just stack up piles of records for no reason. Iโ€™ve got around 3,000 or so now and even thatโ€™s too many. This has given me an idea for a new threadโ€ฆ

7 Likes

Heartbreaking reading some of these stories. I went back to uni in the late 90s as a mature student. Sold all of my Chicago House originals (DJ International, Trax, Gherkin, Dance Mania etc). Thankfully my Detroit stuff survived the cull. Still feel sick about it now. Slowly buying them all back for ridiculous amounts :(.

3 Likes

More than a decade ago I was heavily hauling in records (hundreds some months). Got to the point when I didnโ€™t have enough floor space as the racks were full.
A horrific episode dealing with some up and coming house music mafia types made me resent โ€˜e beatโ€™ and all that kind of stuff. Sorted through some of the boxes and dispatched 250 approx what is pretty much the bottom line of Discogs in desirables. Palmares Records, Calypso, Oversky, Forth Floor, DJ World, Westside, even the odd Nu Groove. The odd individual tune was sold to those interested prior at ยฃ20 to ยฃ30, itโ€™s not like I didnโ€™t know what these were!
Iโ€™d even catalogued it on Discogs and had overview of collectability although it was early days of Discogs. I also have a pretty good โ€˜needle drop earโ€™ for a good groove.
Local shop gave me ยฃ40 for the lot, nice of him, didnโ€™t even get up from his seat.

This was also to give priority to my romantic interest at the time; a copy of Aqua Re, in hindsight would have given longer lasting happiness.
I did keep some choice records including two copies of โ€˜Aloneโ€™ by Don Carlos, it was approx ยฃ50 a go back then even. A โ€˜mateโ€™ was grumbling that he had to pay me ยฃ10 for it at the time.

Used to start Sundays at 6am and finish late at night reviewing my finds over an amazing massive studio monitor set up with my friend. We always said we would like be burnt on a viking ship with a pyre of our records for a funeral, we both fucking meant it.

Iโ€™m getting deja vu if I have written this before?

Well, you did ask.

I think Jolyon and Balearic Mikeโ€™s postings to DJ history may have opened my eyes that I wasnโ€™t the only one with a nose for cheap finds.

3 Likes