Records you either lost, sold or gave away and regret

Been buying records since I was 12, had a decent sized collection going into my 20s, but raving hard in the late 80s/early 90s had started to catch up with me, which led to my home relationship falling apart.

My Dad, who’d had enough of my mood swings and using the house as a hotel, which pushed him to physically throw me out after I’d come back from an all-nighter after it appeared in a Sunday rag claiming all the kids were on drugs; the penny had dropped. I was only able to grab one bag of records and a small bundle of clothes - never saw or spoke to him for 4 years. Whilst I was ‘living away’ he decided to empty me out of his life and proceeded to take all my worldly possessions to the local dump.

Some nice gear ended up in landfill clothes wise, plus all of my records (45s/12s/Albums/Cassettes) up to that point - 80s soul, Electro (All the Electro comps up to 18), House, Hip Hop and loads of Two-Tone Ska from when I was a kid.

Even typing this out pains me. Me and him are all good now, but it’s never mentioned.

10 Likes

Same with my ex, I don’t mention it any more life’s too short but was a big blow nonetheless, serves me right though, I did leave her and move to Koh Samui :rofl:

4 Likes

even reading this is stressing me out, I would never have been able to forgive!

1 Like

I was collecting vinyl from an early age, I just loved it, I would buy stuff through Adrians, Japanese imports, picture discs, I loved it all. when I was 14 I had about 13 different versions of Frankie Goes to Hollywoods Relax for example.

Then amassed a good collection of house and balearic stuff, one of my dads friends worked at Island records and I would get loads of promos of them.

I worked at Notting Hill record exchange so got even more stuff then.

By the age of twenty I probably had about 6, 7 thousand records maybe more.

I was going travelling so asked a friend to store them in her house, I was very specific about this. So I went travelling and when I came back she had moved my records into her garden shed and they all literally got destroyed by rain.

I havent bought any vinyl since.

3 Likes

Sadly now I just buy records for friends and ship them to them.

Like this, I would love this just for the cover alone but whats the @@@@@@ point.

3 Likes

I lent someone six CDs in first year college. Six!!! He lost them all. Or just kept them. I will never know. More fool me etc etc. I just wanted to share the music, but I got burned.

Coldcut’s 70 minutes of madness (the 2002 edition)
CD 1 of Danny Tenaglia’s GU Athens
Hernan Cattaneo’s Funky Deep ‘N’ Tribal CD for Ministry mag
Creamer and K’s Aural Pleasure CD fo Ministry mag
X-Press 2’s AC/DC
Silicone Soul’s Right On!

Obviously not all of them are considered classic or important but they were all important to me. Obviously, since I still remember nearly two decades on.

1 Like

When house first broke I sold all my rap and early hip hop 12s because I thought i would never need them again and certainly never play them out. I ended up buying my own copy of JVC force strong island from The Record and Tape Exchange ( I wrote my initials on the disc label) for a lot lot more than the 50p I sold it for…It might not even have been 50p

1 Like

I’ve given away/sold/lost loads over the years. Mostly throwaway dance stuff and haven’t even thought about them tbh. The only thing I can think of that I wish I still had was a Flying Rhythms CD.

D’Angelo “Voodoo”, I got it before most people had it and didn’t feel it after a couple of spins, in a drunken stupor one night I snapped it in two.

Thats the voodoo shit right there, brother. When you got up the next morning was it back in its sleeve?

Think George will regret getting rid of his collection?

4 Likes

My brother recently bought Mike Pickering’s collection, imagine going through that. Dj Mike Pickering

1 Like

Just bought some stuff off of there, thanks for the heads up

1 Like

This it’s still il at the guys house with all his records and I only left it there with some other stuff, but he died last year and his wife and kid moved.
https://youtu.be/UO-9SVSAPAM

Good to know about his website. I’ve bought from him before via discogs but will go directly in future.

1 Like

I got talked into swapping my early Chicago pressing of Acid Trax, the Trax compilation, for a while vinyl MAW To Be In Love. I didn’t want to but my flatmate was begging me so I gave in to be nice. I could buy it again I suppose but it was the first Trax record I bought so held sentimental value. Still regret it.

That actually upsets me.

That is karmically very problematic for them. I hope they come back as a bacteria.

Oh, good, I just came on here to delete that post cause I thought it was a bit borderline, so glad it was helpful

It was, he’s a bit of a DJ hero of mine so to own a few classics from his collection was too good an opportunity for me to pass up.
I didn’t spend a lot either. :ok_hand:

1 Like