Record shops you have known and loved

Don’t think I knew about that one to be fair!

1 Like

Spinadisc was the Northampton record shop for years, sadly it didn’t survive the vinyl downturn and digital revolution. The guys who ran the dance section there set up their own shop when it closed but that only lasted a couple of years sadly.

Your’re right Aidy is a top bloke and the customer service online or in person is always excellent. If you’re ever heading up or down the M1 then swerve into Northampton to visit the shop, it’s worth a detour - it’s quite the unique record shop experience.

Was ace. The Book of Love rave tapes were like a strange new article of extreme want when I was a nipper…

Got told on Saturday that the next Bexley record fair is on Sun 30th May all being well …nice :ok_hand:

1 Like

Skeleton - Birkenhead
Probe - Liverpool
Jumbo -Leeds
Selectadisc - Nottingham
Arcade - Nottingham
Robs Records- Nottingham

Mainly online these days with the occasional drop into rough trade and charity shops.

1 Like

Don’t know how I forgot this place, proper 80s digging, Yanks in Manchester for £2.99 import LPs, clipped covers down the stairs just off Oxford Street, mega.

Notable ones in Lisbon (which, considering the size of the city, has an impressively high record shop per capita ratio)

• Amor Records
  • Carpet & Snares
  • Peekaboo Records
  • Flur
  • Tabatô Records
  • Collect
1 Like

I got a new copy of Lenny Williams Running for 75p in Jumbo in early 90s!

4 Likes

As a kid, my first foray was ‘Our Price’ in Basingstoke. Imports section (obvs).

Then Listen & Basement Records in Reading.

From there it was London. Spent most of my time in FatCat, Bluebird, Groove Records, City Sounds in Holborn, Red Records, Reckless, Sister Ray, Vinyl Junkies, Flying, Black Market and Soul Jazz…and the shop that the guy from Amalgamation of Soundz had (name escapes me).

Went mail order for a bit when we moved out to the country. Resolution Records, DJ Friendly, Virgo Vibes, Soul Brother, Hedonism, City Beat, Pure Pleasure.

Now I’m up in Mancunia and there’s a wealth of shops to sniff around. Most of my purchases are done through Juno and Discogs now though tbf.

2 Likes

Mighty Force, Exeter. Happened to be working in a shop 2 doors down when it opened in '91 so Mark became a good mate and co-raver
'95-'98 - Catapult, Cardiff. Raeph new my own taste better than me.
'96-'98 Purple Penguin, Bristol (among others) - caught the bus over the bridge for the odd day’s shopping
'98-'99 Krafty Kuts shop in Brighton (name escapes me) + Music Meltdown and the quirky electronica shop upstairs in the North Lanes.
'99-2000s - Reform Records, Exeter
… all Discogs and Juno these days

2 Likes

used to pop into Vinyl Junkies on Berwick Street missions although usually overpriced. Despite that I liked JP and the other guy he worked with (Toro?) No idea where they are now. Got loads of bargain bits at the exchange too, tho sadly had to flog most of it before we left London.

Oh yeah, Mighty Force was rather special, I probably only bought form there for the first year as I got more into Rap again in latter 91, but so many of my favoutite House records were bought from there, wish I had money to buy more at the time but my wages were low back then.

Mark offered me a free copy of one of the first white labels of Analogue Bubblebath. I didn’t really like it so declined!

JP was selling on discogs and had a space somewhere for appointments a couple of years back. Pre-lockdown Toro played TTT parties regularly and worked at a record shop - Reckless maybe?

1 Like

Oooofffff!!

1 Like

For those who missed Quaff shop…

5 Likes

Downstairs at Berwick St. was great, you could smoke yourself stupid and buy twice as much as you would normally upstairs, great sales strategy. Breeze would always have the best box of tunes.

2 Likes

Was what they put in Judge Jules’ box an ongoing joke occurrence each week?

3 Likes

he was actually OKAY way back. I mean it took a rapid, horrendous decline soon after for sure

3 Likes