Record shops you have known and loved

I remember Naive Melody, think I saw Aeroplane there.

I’ll be going to one of the forthcoming Nado doo’s in the next few weeks and see if remembers :wink:

1 Like

Probably walked past it a million times but doesn’t ring any bells.
Anyone remember the stall/shop in the early 90s in the Corn Exchange run by a guy named Dave, think he went by the name The Ruf , (Ruf Dave??), sold Rap (exclusively I think) including his own megamix white labels, he went on to start the Jeep Beat Collective and his own label, don’t think it was there long, Fat City came along not long after in Afflecks and I started shopping there instead.

I wish I had a Time Machine to go back to the Corn Exchange in the late 80s, early 90s…

3 Likes

It was off the high st entrance on the right hand side - its now an American sweet shop (or something like that).

I don’t remember Dave, but I do remember a black fella from Leeds having a massive stall in there around 93 selling all kinds of music.

After the bomb, he opened up in the Corn Exchange in Leeds on Call Lane.

Haha, I was at that…remember very little of it though :joy:

Not cool or underground but I used to love the smaller HMV, at the bottom of Market St, around '89/'90, the Madchester era, the small upstairs was all vinyl iirc, remember seeing the displays with 12"s like Loaded, LFO, The Power, Rave On EP, Fool’s Gold, Northside, The Only One I Know, NWA, Ice T…
Less intimidating than Eastern Bloc, perfect for a music mad 14/15 yo to spend ages browsing and checking out the covers.

6 Likes

It was a really good HMV. Like you I went to it when I couldn’t face the EBloc nonsense. I remember buying a copy of KLF’s Chill Out from there.

1 Like

Likewise. Messy night!

1 Like

I remember seeing Chill Out in the racks in the Our Price across from HMV & seeing the sheep on the cover & wondering what the hell it was. :woozy_face:
I had no idea about Ambient or chill out at that point

1 Like

I was in Frome yesterday and went into Raves from the grave for the first time in ages, it was always good, but wow what a shop that has become. Mainly rock/pop/indie and not much electronic, but stacked full of quality stuff, boxes here there and everywhere.

I picked up blood by This Mortal Coil and Esja by Hania Rani, both reasonably priced, walked out and spotted Bowies Brilliant adventures box in the window at half price. One I’ve been waiting for a price drop on to keep the collection going, went back in and exchanged.

Anyway, best discovery so far has been the Eno live mix of the man who sold the world, lovely stuff

3 Likes

He danced at my leaving do at the Sally that same year. Must have been his dancing year.

2 Likes

Archive ?

1 Like

Yep! The very same.

Does anyone remember ‘Instant Quality’ on Lexington Street (I think). There was a bit of a tech house connection - Murf ran it. I remember picking up a load of great Cajual stuff in there which I still have to this day. Miss those days traipsing around Soho.

Also ‘Soul Jazz’ in its original location - can’t remember the street, before it became ‘Sounds of the Universe’ on Broadwick St.

2 Likes

Ingestre Place? Bought my first Danny Wang Balihu 12 in there:)

1 Like

Thanks, yup that was the location. On the corner as far as I can remember.

Whole series is good

2 Likes

I was at that night - you and Matthew were great

1 Like

Just seen this on Twitter, from 1990

3 Likes

Take me back

1 Like